Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Ellaxx
Linda Holmes
6 posters

Cover leaking

Ellaxx

Cover leaking Empty Cover leaking

Post by Ellaxx Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:11 am

I took the cover off my dandy and was devastated to find the tarpaulin with puddles all over it.
    The tarpaulin is only a cheap one so some water has seeped through in places. (no wonder one end of the dandy was so damp when I got it)
    I think my cover needs to go in the bin Smile

I have just ordered a thick pvc tarpaulin to replace the cover. Has anyone used one of these instead of a cover?
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Cover leaking Empty Re: Cover leaking

Post by Linda Holmes Fri 06 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

What cover do yo have, Ella? Is it the standard 'travelling' cover that is supplied with all Dandys that has leaked, or do you mean a secondary cover you have put over the top?

The brown cover that came with our Dandy has a little nick on one corner but thankfully has never leaked in. I have treated her to a Kampa all-over breathable cover a few weeks ago - and I mean 'all-over' - I ordered a size too large by accident so it covers everything including the gas locker & tyres! Shocked I thought I would keep it instead of having the bother of exchanging, and anyway (I reasoned) covering the tyres can't be a bad thing as they are then protected from UV etc. Laughing

I think if our Dandy's travelling cover leaked I would fork out for a replacement or try to get it mended, although I believe they are not cheap. They are so crucial, though, as if water gets in it can do untold damage.
    Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm

Linda Holmes wrote:What cover do yo have, Ella?  Is it the standard 'travelling' cover that is supplied with all Dandys that has leaked, or do you mean a secondary cover you have put over the top?

The brown cover that came with our Dandy has a little nick on one corner but thankfully has never leaked in.  I have treated her to a Kampa all-over breathable cover a few weeks ago - and I mean 'all-over' - I ordered a size too large by accident so it covers everything including the gas locker & tyres!   Shocked  I thought I would keep it instead of having the bother of exchanging, and anyway (I reasoned) covering the tyres can't be a bad thing as they are then protected from UV etc. Laughing

I think if our Dandy's travelling cover leaked I would fork out for a replacement or try to get it mended, although I believe they are not cheap.  They are so crucial, though, as if water gets in it can do untold damage.

Hi Linda yes it is the original cover that is leaking Sad... when we brought it one end of the camper was all damp. I looked and it seemed that there was a little nick in the corner of the cover ( which is where I thought it was leaking from)...... so when we packed it away we put a tarpaulin over the camper then the original cover on top..
    But when I took the cover off the other day there was puddles all over the tarpaulin so I think it has had its day.. they are expensive I think around £150. we have ordered a pvc tarpaulin so im hoping that will be ok, for now anyway Smile

thank you for your response
    ps is the cover you brought just for the winter?

Ellaxx
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Post by Linda Holmes Sat 07 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

I'm sure the tarpaulin should do the trick. Will you be able to use it as a travel cover as well, or will you buy a new one? The important thing is you found the leak before it did any more damage. It just goes to show how vigilant we need to be - I generally just get the Dandy ready for Winter then forget about her till Spring, but reading about your experience makes me think it's not such a wise thing to do.

Yes, the cover I just bought is a Kampa Winter cover that goes over the top of everything including the travel cover, as we don't have garage space to keep her in. I decided to get it for two reasons - firstly, the Winter weather has in recent years made black streaks down the body work where dye (or whatever) has run from the new black bungee cord holding the travel cover on. So we have to clean her both before AND after the Winter. Secondly, rain has caused a bit of rot at the points where the number plate was fixed ('was' - because it dropped off while camping last year! Shocked ) Also it will protect the rest of it from harmful UV, etc. so I feel it was definately worth the expense. Our Dandy is 30 years old and I want to keep her as well as possible for the next 30!

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Sat 07 Feb 2015, 3:21 pm

Linda Holmes wrote:I'm sure the tarpaulin should do the trick.  Will you be able to use it as a travel cover as well, or will you buy a new one?  The important thing is you found the leak before it did any more damage.  It just goes to show how vigilant we need to be - I generally just get the Dandy ready for Winter then forget about her till Spring, but reading about your experience makes me think it's not such a wise thing to do.

Yes, the cover I just bought is a Kampa Winter cover that goes over the top of everything including the travel cover, as we don't have garage space to keep her in.  I decided to get it for two reasons - firstly, the Winter weather has in recent years made black streaks down the body work where dye (or whatever) has run from the new black bungee cord holding the travel cover on.  So we have to clean her both before AND after the Winter.  Secondly, rain has caused a bit of rot at the points where the number plate was fixed ('was' - because it dropped off while camping last year! Shocked ) Also it will protect the rest of it from harmful UV, etc. so I feel it was definately worth the expense.  Our Dandy is 30 years old and I want to keep her as well as possible for the next 30!

Hi Linda. yes I think I will use it for a travel cover as well, I will see how it fits first. I will put pics up if it works lol.
    We cant afford a new cover at the moment as need new tyres and other repairs.... As long as the tarpaulin works the cover can wait for a while Smile
    We was supposed to put it under the car port but never got round to it , I knew it had a leak but didn't think it was as bad as it is, at least we know now and it can be sorted out. mine is 28 years old she needs looking after and cared for lol...

Im all excited now tho because I have finally sold my car and now on the look out for a tow car Smile
    I will be opening her up within a couple of weeks to start the other repairs and to see if its done any damage, but im hoping all is ok as I made sure we put the roof right over the top Smile

Ellaxx
    navver

Post by navver Sat 07 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

You should be able to buy a repair kit for PVC. I got one from Milletts. Might be enough to stop the leak. I do get condensation under our PVC travel cover but it is only on the bed bases.
    urbtaf
    urbtaf

Post by urbtaf Sat 07 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

I once fixed a PVC cover by sticking a patch of good quality Duct tape on the under (cloth) side of the cover, then turn it over and open up the tear, fill the gap with a household clear glue and spread some around the area. I did this on a cover for an E type jag when in storage outside it lasted the entire winter without problem.
    Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Sat 07 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

Hi the thing is im not sure where the leak is, im thinking maybe it has little holes all over it.

There was about 3/4 puddles in different places, do you think this could be condensation? could it be that bad?

I have ordered the tarpaulin now so I will test my cover again by putting it over the tarpaulin and see what happens, maybe find the leak and try to repair it or find out if it is condensation

thank you for your help

Ellaxx
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:53 am

Hi Ella,

we used a pvc tarp underneath our old cover, that way we had no chance of water getting into the Dandy and the tarp was secure under the cover for travelling. Cover leaking 3498837457
    Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Mon 09 Feb 2015, 8:39 am

Helen wrote:Hi Ella,

we used a pvc tarp underneath our old cover, that way we had no chance of water getting into the Dandy and the tarp was secure under the cover for travelling. Cover leaking 3498837457

Great thank you Helen

ellaxx
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 09 Feb 2015, 7:52 pm

When we rebuilt Phoenix we had to get a new travel cover for her, the old one was totally shot. We got it from a guy who is a member on here and goes as Undercover Mick.

Mike did put a post in the Trade sales and member services, here is a link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Worth a try if you want a new one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 12:33 pm