Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

2 posters

Replacement 12v Transformer

Aeronk

Replacement 12v Transformer Empty Replacement 12v Transformer

Post by Aeronk Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:54 am

Hi all, I would like to replace the transformer in my recently acquired Designer (1992). A google search comes up with either something like a BCA transformer/battery charger or a simple transformer for LED ( I assume LED light systems). I don't really want to use a leisure battery and will always be on EHU but want to run lights, water pump and possibly a 12v cooler box off the system so just want a suitable 10 amp transformer.

Any recommendations?

Aeron
    navver

Replacement 12v Transformer Empty Re: Replacement 12v Transformer

Post by navver Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:08 pm

I would suggest you go for the BCA 20 Amp unit for pump and lights and battery charging etc. These units get hot so make sure it is placed somewhere where it will not be covered WHEN IN USE. OK to cover when in transit and not plugged in.

You might want to check with the suppliers that they are suitable for use without a battery. I think they are OK but worth checking.

I think the cooler box might use quite a bit of power. Even 20 Amp at 12 volts is only 120 watts. Unfortunately power supply units output is stabilised at 13.8 volts which will increase the current consumed by lights but should reduce current in motors such as pump and cooler.
    Aeronk

Post by Aeronk Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:25 pm

Thanks Navver.  I was looking at the BCA as a likely replacement but the 10 amp not 20 amp.  There hasn't been anything else likely as a replacement in my search.  Today, my son and I changed the 12v wiring for 10 amp as I wasn't sure exactly what was in there.  Took the opportunity to put each socket on a separate circuit fed by a fuse board with 10 outputs so plenty of room for expansion.  Happy that all is safe now with the new wiring and fuses.  This is a photo of the transformer that is installed.  Looks very old, no markings at all so maybe home made? Thats the old wiring in the photo, I need to take a new photo with the new wiring and fuse board now installed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
    Aeronk

Post by Aeronk Wed 12 Sep 2018, 4:56 pm

I think I have sorted the 12v side now.  Fitted a BCA P0116 transformer/charger.  Also replaced a socket with a new one that includes two USB sockets for charging iPhones etc..  The BCA unit will allow me to add a leisure battery in the future if I decide to.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 12:15 pm