Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+9
bilbo
Cazz
John
Eilis
mike
vickoir
Helen
hakuna matata
Nick
13 posters

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted

Post by Nick Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

after thinking i would put changing wheels on the back burner,i decided the challenge would be worth it.So we have just bought a set of 4 ultralite mini wheels for £70,the tyres are dated 2008 and are like new as they have been in storage for a couple of years.One wheel is badly damaged so this wheel be our experimental wheel.I have realised that even boring out the centre of the wheel is not a enough so i am going to have to space it off or the hub centre will protrude through middle of the wheel.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Helen on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Informative threads merged - title changed)
    hakuna matata

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted

Post by hakuna matata Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:50 pm

lookin very nice Mr. keep us imformed as to how you get on.

neil
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted

Post by Helen Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:10 pm

Whit woo sexy looking wheels, they are going to look cool Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 184121345

Pimp your Dandy Nick Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 1710857839
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 17 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

can't wait to get them sorted so they fit cheers
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:22 am

They look very nice
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:23 am

very nice, look forward to seeing the end result Smile
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:48 am

The badly damaged wheel is going to go on the lathe next week before we start on the good wheels.I want to space off as little as possible but also not have too much of the hub sticking through the middle.If i space it of 20mm then i can probably leave original centre caps on,but i worry about stressing bearings,so will settle for 10mm. Smile
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

the tyres are dated 2008 and are like new as they have been in storage for a couple of years

With the natural degradation of rubber normally being added to the sunlight effect they say 5 years maximum so with those facts on yours they should see you through next year, so long as the load rating is up to spec.

mike
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

we bought some new tyres from a garage for our other wheels and they were dated mid 09 so had been on the shelf for nearly 2years.I will probably change the tyres in 2013,our mechanic said tyres should be changed every 5yrs but no later than 7yrs max and all gas hose's should be replaced every 2years.
    The wheels have a low loading 280kg so 560kg which is only 12% above the maximum weight of our trailer although the wheel manufacturers will be very conservative.The tyres are rated at 325kg each which gives us plenty.
    John
    John

Post by John Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

If you are doing the suspension you can offset the unit to compensate, I offset mine about 10mm make it a bit simpler just a thought Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm

They look good, looking forward to seeing then on your Dandy.

Talking of has hose, our dandy came with some gas hose dated 1986!! Shocked
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

i need to take 1mm off and the wheels should fit i don't want to take more off than that really.Once i can get them on the hub i can then decide size of spacer.I don't want to go thicker than 10mm really. Smile
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

having wheel shot blasted today didn't fancy spending a day sanding wheels back to bare metal.I have bought some Acid Etch primer and lots of fine wet and dry and some white paint and lacquer.I hope this project turns out well as its not something i have done before. Smile
    When the spacers and studs turn up i can try everything to make sure it fits,knowing my luck the hub will be metric or something lol!
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty Wheels back from the Powder Coating Company

Post by Nick Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:53 pm

got wheels back today just need tyres back on rims and to buy some new nuts,cost of refurb was £30 blasting £45powder coating and £5 wet and dry paper Very Happy

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:55 am

Looks good and saved you a lot of work,have to keep the tyres clean to do them justice.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

They look fantastic. Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 2197500976 Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 184121345
    hakuna matata

Post by hakuna matata Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

they look cool Mr. that remindes got to get mine,s finnished.

neil
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

They look smart, will your Dandy go faster now? lol!

Good colour choice, Molly will agree. Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 2170595768
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty finally the wheels are fitted

Post by Nick Thu 20 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

well finally the wheels are back on the dandy

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 20 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

They look good Nick Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted 1710857839
    bilbo

Dandy trailer tent with Mini Wheels fitted Empty Nicks wheels

Post by bilbo Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm

Just be ogling your wheels Nick,what a cracking job,you must be very pleased with the outcome,clearances look
    spot on,what offset did you settle for?........Bilbo
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 22 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

i must admit i'm very happy with our wheels nick done a great job sorting them out i just need to polish up the hubs to match the nuts so all shiny shiny then done cheers
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 22 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

bilbo wrote:Just be ogling your wheels Nick,what a cracking job,you must be very pleased with the outcome,clearances look
    spot on,what offset did you settle for?........Bilbo

the offset i think is ET31 and the standard wheels were about ET20 but the wheels are also wider than originals,i used a 10mm spacer and 50mm studs,i can get my fingers comfortably between tyre and inside arch.I hope its all ok and the hubs/studs are ok as its not something i have messed about with before.I will repack the bearings before our next long trip.I might hook it up to car next week see how it sits as its nearly 1/2inch high now.If its looking more level then i might not bother raising the suspension.
    Coffee1
    Coffee1

Post by Coffee1 Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:47 am

They look good my brother in law came around last night and showed us some carbon wrapping, I dont think it would do wheels but there must be other things you could do on a dandy with it. Example below but you can get large sheets and could wrap the whole Dandy tub as my brother in laws friend had his whole car wrapped. Perhaps you could change the inside look of your Dandy with it too

vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:25 pm

I could carbon wrap the whole discovery Very Happy

Nick did you keep all the specs for the wheels? Ill be copying but raising my suspension as the T5 makes the Dandy look up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 11:31 pm