Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
mike
Tow Itch
vessey44
Esermalda
8 posters

drop down legs

Esermalda
    Esermalda

drop down legs Empty drop down legs

Post by Esermalda Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

hi all, now that the dandy is in my possession, and have had a look, the main areas of worry are;-
    1. two of the legs (drop down ones) are very rusty and one is without a foot of any kind, in fact it looks shorter than the other one.
    2. The electrics are looking like spaghetti leading to the front box from under the sink a square box affair and 2-pin sockets on the right side of the kitchen. There is also a old fashioned rcd/fuse box on the left side of the kitchen and two three pin sockets outside is what looks like a hook up point.
    my questions are
    1. what size square tubing? does it have to be iron or would aluminium do? and where to get it? I have plenty of wood pieces to rest the leg on. so not too worried about the plastic feet.
    2. how difficult is it to get the drop down legs off?
    3. Should I replace the old 12v system, as I already have a leisure battery?
    vessey44
    vessey44

drop down legs Empty Re: drop down legs

Post by vessey44 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

3/4 ERW Box or 19.03mm mild steel

I can buy a 6mtr length of this for £6+VAT so dont pay Ebay prices

I dont mind cutting this to the right length for a dandy drop down leg & posting it out to a few people if required at cost

I dont think alloy would be suitable as it would nip when tightening the thumb screws

Im looking into making a bigger foot on the bottoms of my legs anyway so have this box section in on Monday
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:57 pm

So sorry to see this report Essie especially after you being so upbeat.
    The leg can be removed by raising things far enough to allow it to slide out.
    You would be unfortunate indeed for the steel (not iron) to be so far gone that the application of a wire brush would not clean it up and it be serviceable.
    As for the foot it would be available from Riva but if you pry it off you might well find a more economical replacement through Google.
    Price it up through Riva first before you find out you looked for 5 hours to save 30p.
    The steelwork can be replaced by Riva, or through other sources as it is a stock size.
    The electrics are hard to appraise in a forum.
    You really need a tame electrician. I'm no sparky but if you can hold out to a meeting where we would both be present I'd have a look.
    Is anyone else Capable of this?
    As a broad statement. A very broad statement
    While it is your responsibility to get your own equipment checked out I'd say if:
    1) You test your RCD and overload by testing both with button and by physically shorting and running live to earth.
    2) You check the polarity of the 240v to see the that live and neutral are not reversed.
    3) There is a fuse in the 12v very close to both the transformer and the battery. 12v will not electrocute you but it will cause fires.
    If the above three things are true it will not cause you too much harm while you wait to check it out.

I see Vessey has offered steel options while I was writing this.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

As has been said the drop down leg sections shouldn't be too far gone just a clean and paint may suffice,electrics are difficult to answer without seeing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] could help to put your mind at rest if you dont want to get it checked.
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

thank you for your suggestions. I didnt mean to sound downhearted as I'm not in the least. We opened it up yesterday, in a friends yard, and put it straight back down again, just to prove it wasn't a fluke.
    my lack of knowledge of people who DO know things is immeasurable. Like not knowing where to find stock of this leg stuff. and just Who would check the electrics on a dandy.
    Mark says all can wait but ....
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

Esermalda wrote:thank you for your suggestions. I didnt mean to sound downhearted as I'm not in the least. We opened it up yesterday, in a friends yard, and put it straight back down again, just to prove it wasn't a fluke.
    my lack of knowledge of people who DO know things is immeasurable. Like not knowing where to find stock of this leg stuff. and just Who would check the electrics on a dandy.
    Mark says all can wait but ....

On the mains side i dont see why any qualified electrician shouldn't be able to do it,as there isnt as much danger he could probaly check the 12 volt,unless you have a mobile caravan engineer then he could give it all a check over brakes the lot.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

If you can remove whatever is stopping the whole leg pulling out and off the Dandy you can take the leg out all together and the drop down part removes easily then so you can rub down and paint, you can then put the whole leg back through the brackets and put the 'stopper' back in place.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Mon 27 Feb 2012, 7:57 am

good luck with the legs, ours were painted black slide down no bother, hoever the bed supports are a bugger to get out since painted, thinking of a little grease on them.

Your electrics sound like ours, look like they came off the ark.
    going to get a 3pin plug wired to a commando socket then Im going to test them all by plugging into the mains.
    luckily I have a dad whos a sparky (although hes out of action with a new knee) and 2 guys at work also.
    going to do a beer token scheme for them to have a wee look and possibly replace the fuse box under the cooker with something a bit newer and possibly even move it.
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:04 am

when we did the 12v in the delta we used blade fuses like in a car put them in a rated box under the sink ran all new cabling and bought new 12v light and sockets off ebay for a few quid. ring crimps,cabling, etc and battery terminals came from a previous employer, there are kits you can buy but if your unsure then would suggest you get a spark to do it
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:06 am

What's a commando socket?
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:09 am

a donkeys di** we used to call them lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

a commando socket
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

vickoir wrote:a donkeys di** we used to call them lol!

a commando socket

drop down legs 1705467399

one of these will be made at work Smile

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

naedoot wrote:good luck with the legs, ours were painted black slide down no bother, hoever the bed supports are a bugger to get out since painted, thinking of a little grease on them.

Your electrics sound like ours, look like they came off the ark.
    going to get a 3pin plug wired to a commando socket then Im going to test them all by plugging into the mains.
    luckily I have a dad whos a sparky (although hes out of action with a new knee) and 2 guys at work also.
    going to do a beer token scheme for them to have a wee look and possibly replace the fuse box under the cooker with something a bit newer and possibly even move it.

Be careful about using grease as dirt and grit may stick to it
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:18 pm

Try the magical silicone spray cheers
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

or WD40 Very Happy