Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+13
vnuala
lynn83
Krist0n
missingtale
Esermalda
Coffee1
Cazz
Caz1960
mike
Tow Itch
Owd Lad
ShaunJUK
Helen
17 posters

Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof Empty Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof

Post by Helen Thu 31 May 2012, 7:43 am

We have a Dandy Designer and for the first six years of owning it we folded the roof in with the beds, as we lifted each bed end we pulled the roof in at the same time so it folded in between the bed and trailer tub. The trailer didn't sit flat but we could still pull the cover over, we tightened the end bungees (fixed it) using cable ties, this meant it didn't come off in the wind. It was the wrong way to fold the roof but we found it far easier and quicker to pack the Dandy away and on erecting the Dandy we also found it easier as the roof didn't need to slide over the U bars and didn't catch on bed legs. In the years we had been doing this we never had any problems with marks or damage to the roof. If it was windy whilst packing away there was no problem with the roof as it pulled in as it folded so there was less roof open to the elements as we went along, if it was wet the roof didn't end up on the floor so didn't get mucky and there wasn't the problem of it catching on bed legs when folding it away. There has never been a problem with folding away wet as any water still remains on the outside of the roof and flows down into the creases and still runs out when it's jockey wheel is raised to connect it to the car and the Dandy is at an angle.

For the past 4 years we have been folding the roof on top, mainly because we didn't want to appear to be folding it incorrectly when we met up with other owners What a Face but it also means we can clean the roof whilst the Dandy is down. We have found that we need to use towels to protect the side window as it ends up on the underside of the bed board and in transit when there is movement it caused scratching to the side window and also some marks on the pvc from the rivets that hold the bed boards in place. The wind has caught the roof several times too and we have had to clean the ceiling more often. We can clean the roof easier when it's folded on top and the Dandy doe's look far neater when the cover is on and we are travelling.

We are considering going to go back to folding the roof in as it was easier, cleaner and we had less marks and doing it that way.

I'm not advising people to fold the roof incorrectly just telling you of our experience with folding it both ways and asking how you fold your Dandy roof and for any tips that will help other owners.
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof Empty Re: Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof

Post by ShaunJUK Thu 31 May 2012, 10:59 am

I fold the roof in
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof Empty Re: Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof

Post by Owd Lad Thu 31 May 2012, 11:34 am

Helen,this is actually more interesting than it may initially sound. On all three of our Dandys we have always gone for the folding the roof on top method, simply because this is how we were shown by the original supplier, Dandy & Riva. The roof has always been allowed to dangle onto the ground when folding but with the cover placed, top down, to stop it getting dirty. (Yes, I know the cover then gets dirty but it's easier to clean than the roof.)I'd agree that this method must make the neatest package and I suppose that we've always been concerned about causing damage to the roof or putting unnecessary strain on any part of the trailer by folding it 'incorrectly'. I can, however, see that there is an argument for folding the roof under, especially in adverse weather conditions, when the risk of kite flying the roof is high (done that!), or when time out in the rain can be saved. Never done it but you can bet we'll be having a try. Love to hear other peoples experiences though.

Steve
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Thu 31 May 2012, 12:21 pm

I also find that when opening up in the rain the roof covers everything to keep it dryer. Fold out the beds and get the sides up and you waterproof in seconds.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 31 May 2012, 12:59 pm

The idea of tie wraps affixing the loose end is worth thinking about.

I was packing up alone and the wind got the roof. Yes I know I should have turned the fixed side into the roof.

If my car or a caravan had been parked on the leeward side it would have been expensive.

The roof does go very quickly and with an awful lot of energy even with a light wind.

D'oh perhaps I should have turned the fixed side into the wind as well!
    Do I normally talk such rubbish that no one bothers correcting me?

Last edited by Tow Itch on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 31 May 2012, 2:10 pm

We always folded the delta roof on the outside,its the way we where advised by a long standing member of the dandy owners club who we bought it from,i think the main reason was the risk of damage,many points above make sense but ours is protected from the rain also,with the six we keep the roof on the outside as its folded at the front to balance against the weight in the under seat lockers which are behind the seat,or it can be spread further back if needed,i just wouldn't be happy folding it inside.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 31 May 2012, 3:55 pm

Very Happy as you now know I fold the 6 on the outside even in high winds she wasn't to bad but when it came to the 5 it seams easier to fold inside it tens to lend itself that way and I was having to correct myself when I realized I had done that but on reading this thread I think it would be both 6 outside Very Happy 5 in Very Happy there easy pessy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 31 May 2012, 6:27 pm

(Copied and pasted from another thread)

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, it's a matter of preference.

We have tried both ways, and also prefer to fold it in, as Helen said it's easier to do, quicker to do, it doesn't trail on the floor, doesn't get caught on the bed legs, the dog can't lay on it and where the roof attaches on ours there are some very sharp original hooks where the roof hooks to, we are always afraid the roof will catch on these, the newer buttons are much safer.

We did wonder if the roof would get squashed or caught when folded inside, but we watch it carefully when folding and unfolding, and so far there hasn't been any sign of possible snagging. Also we now have a storage area on top for the awning poles and things.
    Coffee1
    Coffee1

Post by Coffee1 Thu 31 May 2012, 7:16 pm

For once I agree with the Mrs Shocked it is easier to fold it in and faster too.
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

Helen, morning,
    two questions:-Well maybe two and a half.
    Did folding in cause any damage over the six years, and was that how you originally were shown?
    How did you clean the outside of the roof?
    We were shown the folding in method by previous owner but watched the video on you tube.
    I think I will go with the folding in method for frequent use then clean and fold on top for winter.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

Good Morning Essie,

We were shown to fold the roof even differently, in the space at the side where we now sit the awning. We first folded the roof in when it was extremely windy once and because we found it so much easier we continued to do it that way, we have not damaged our roof by doing it this way, the roof is in perfect condition. As I said we only changed the way we folded it to the correct way because we were meeting up with other Dandy owners and didn't want them to think that we didn't know what we were doing.

I can only tell people of our experience/preference and am not advising anyone to fold the roof in.

We didn't need to use towels to protect anything! once folded the beds do sit up in the middle due to the extra bulk inside and although it looks a bit odd (like it hasn't been folded down fully) it travels well with the transit cover on.

We just used to remove the small cable ties we had on the bungee's (where we fixed the end) fold it correctly once per year and clean the roof then when we went out in it again we folded the roof with the beds. You even get good at it and automatically pull the roof in when the bed is in a vertical position without stopping the up and over movement of the bed.

Many Dandy's have been purchased and new owners have been shown the wrong way to fold a Dandy but then worry about doing it the way the previous owners did, yet the Dandy they have purchased has no damage to the roof from it's former life and being folded in.

Ours looks better in transit and when we arrive on site when folded correctly ....... folding the roof in may look a bit messy but we find it so much easier.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

We didn't need to use towels to protect anything! once folded the beds do sit up in the middle due to the extra bulk inside and although it looks a bit odd (like it hasn't been folded down fully) it travels well with the transit cover on.

That being the case would this method be better for someone who stored their dandy outside? Does it provide enough lift to put a slight apex on the cover and so disperse water?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

Yes it doe's Kevin.

My Dandy is a 91 Designer and doe's have the padded rolls over the bed hinges, if anyone has one of the later Dandys that don't have these rolls I would be careful with how far in you pull the roof.
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:20 pm

As a result of this thread, well it just had to be tried didn't it? We erected the Designer the other day to give it a Mr Sheening and replace a couple of strings. Then the bungees on the loose end of the roof got cable tied and we de-erected. Wow! what a difference. The roof virtually folded in on itself and was so quick and easy to pack away. There was also hardly any difference in the way that the beds lie when folded, being almost flat. We will check next time up that all is well but this way seems good for us.

Steve
    missingtale

Post by missingtale Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

I am sure there must be something about the collective conscious going, I spent an hour or so last Saturday trying different ways of folding the roof on our dandy discovery as I was not convinced by the way the person we bought the trailer off showed us.

I had come to the conclusion that by far the easiest way was to fold the roof in, so as I have finally found 10 minutes I logged on to ask the opinion of the forum on this, only to find this post. Well thanks guys for getting there first
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

missingtale wrote:I am sure there must be something about the collective conscious going, I spent an hour or so last Saturday trying different ways of folding the roof on our dandy discovery as I was not convinced by the way the person we bought the trailer off showed us.

I had come to the conclusion that by far the easiest way was to fold the roof in, so as I have finally found 10 minutes I logged on to ask the opinion of the forum on this, only to find this post. Well thanks guys for getting there first

Hi Missingtale Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 1217042266 I'm pleased we were able to help with your question, we must have predicted your problem. lol! Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 1066248140
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

I KNOW IT'S NOT THE RIGHT WAY ........ but after trying to fold the Dandy away this afternoon in howling winds and heavy heavy rain ........... MY ROOF IS FOLDED IN affraid

It was the easiest way for us, the beds stayed dry and the roof stayed away from the muddy ground as did the trailer cover Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 1208560806

I'm with you on this missingtale Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 3498837457
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:11 am

I toyed with the idea of folding the roof under the beds just for ease, but was petrified I would peirce or tear the roof. Ours is the Destiny which folds down differently from the rest, and has an insulated roof, so it's quite thick and I imagine easy to puncture. Has anyone with a Destiny tried this method of folding?
    My Dandy is up on the drive at the moment as I am fixing the electrics and the tap, so when all is doen, I may try the folding in method.
    GOOD TOPIC by the way!
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:21 am

Krist0n wrote:I toyed with the idea of folding the roof under the beds just for ease, but was petrified I would peirce or tear the roof. Ours is the Destiny which folds down differently from the rest, and has an insulated roof, so it's quite thick and I imagine easy to puncture. Has anyone with a Destiny tried this method of folding?
    My Dandy is up on the drive at the moment as I am fixing the electrics and the tap, so when all is doen, I may try the folding in method.
    GOOD TOPIC by the way!

I have a Dandy 4/5 with an insulated roof and fold in.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

All Dandy's have insulated roofs but ...... I do think that the quality of materials used was compromised on the Dark blue models, including the pvc. An old friend did have a destiny the same as yours Kriston and he folded the roof in and as far as I know didn't have any problems but I would look at how you intend to fold it and make sure that there is nothing that would catch or cause damage first. Ours is an old designer and has a different hinge set up than the newer ones.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Fri 29 Jun 2012, 1:46 am

okey dokey! Will let you know how it goes when I eventually fold it away.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

We have found this the best way of folding the roof.

It mostly folds with it, but with slight adjustments to keep it out from under the low bed, we felt the weight of both beds pinching it was unfair on the roof, also the beds now sit more level. It goes up really easily too.

The other advantage, well to us anyway, is the roof keeps the bed boards dry whilst it's in trailer form, the 40 odd holes do let a lot of water in. What a Face

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lynn83
    lynn83

Post by lynn83 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 4:52 pm

We have a dandy 6 and always fold it on the top, it has got some damage from the previous owners, so feel it is better than damaging it. Though we always struggle with it, putting it up and down, wish we had a smaller dandy to put up and down but like the space in the 6. Very Happy Would be nice to see a vid of an old 6 being put up.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:31 pm

lynn83 wrote:We have a dandy 6 and always fold it on the top, it has got some damage from the previous owners, so feel it is better than damaging it. Though we always struggle with it, putting it up and down, wish we had a smaller dandy to put up and down but like the space in the 6. Very Happy Would be nice to see a vid of an old 6 being put up.

Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 2702329197 hey Mike there you go I would love to see that video Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 3462454224
    I had struggled with my 6 but as Mike said check your gas struts on the sides then I found that I had only 2 so I have replaces all four and it isn't a struggle any more so if Mike gets a video on how he puts his up I will do the same on how I put up mine Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 3462454224 Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 3462454224 Dandy Trailer tents - Folding the Roof 3462454224
    lynn83
    lynn83

Post by lynn83 Sun 29 Jul 2012, 5:04 am

That would be great. Very Happy We def need new struts, we only have one on the door side and that's the worst one. Also more effort with the roof being so big. I have seen the vid with the smaller dandy getting put up, wish ours went up that quick Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 6:11 am