Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+17
navver
Pollyanna
Kimmie
peridot
Esermalda
odienoo
dantro
Phoenix
abc5575
alday
bgarston
Cazz
MrsG
mike
Caz1960
Endecay
Helen
21 posters

Alphabetical artists game

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Alphabetical artists game - Page 7 Empty Re: Alphabetical artists game

Post by peridot Thu 30 May 2013, 10:55 pm

Just back from holidays and catching up on the vids as my mobile internet didn't seem to want to play with YouTube when I was away. That Tony Christie one is hilarious.

Going back a couple - Let There Be Drums indeed! My great excitement of last week was finding a 10-disc Buddy Rich collection in a record shop in Holland for the princely sum of 5 euros. I do like drums and drummers.

And Olivia Newton John brings back the heyday of MTV. I can still remember the excitement when we first got MTV and were looking forward to a 24-hour music channel on TV. Then of course we realised it was a 24-hour advertisment channel with the odd music video in between Neutral

And the Aussie theme continues with Python Lee Jackson and Rod - great choice Smile

I'm struggling to keep it going with Q so I'll have to bend the rules slightly. The 'Max' in question is a real entity (okay ... it's a dog!) so I think I can just about justify the alphabetical correctness of this. This side project is probably close to the bottom of the list of things that Micheal Hutchence is remembered for ... but it shouldn't be -

Max Q - Way of The World

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 May 2013, 1:21 am

Just in case Mennace thought I was serious I thought I'd better stick this piece in under R.

Found this tune accidentally about 6 months ago Can't find a full clip of LLoyd Ross

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 31 May 2013, 9:02 am

Love this song especially when the wines been out Laughing

The Waterboys ... whole of the moon

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 May 2013, 9:53 am

Well I had a moment the other week with a not quite alphabetical artist. So can't complain too much.

We had Q with MaxQ then R with LLoyd Ross then to S with The Waterboys ??????
    Silly me that is S for Mike Scott as in the website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm sure we should have all realised years ago that "The Waterboys" was pronounced Mike Scott and supporting minions.
    Slick post Helen you got to feature a favourite band and song twice without getting the penalty points for re posting, as you posted it under S not W. See page 9.
    All I need to know now is did Albert Hammond ever sue for them ripping off Free Electric Band.

So peridot likes drummers. Well this man can drum, in fact the whole band can play, even the guitarist, unfortunately not as well as the guitarist he was standing in for. Saw these live 2nd best band ever. Think the drummers brother on bass got the short straw on the mix on the first track.

The Twenty First Century Schizoid Band

If you have an occasional listen to tracks on here the second track is the easier and more melodic. It features the not inconsiderable tallents of Mr Ian McDonald who apart from forming the original King Crimson then went off to co form Foreigner.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 31 May 2013, 9:59 am

Alphabetical artists game - Page 7 3208163979

my only defence is that it's sunshining and I'm in shock sunny
    Where are we up to now ..... what's the next alphabet letter ?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 May 2013, 10:09 am

Well I'd have to check having posted W after T last time but go I'd say V.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Fri 31 May 2013, 11:20 am

Tow Itch wrote: ... I'd say V.

You mean that Vee with the rounded bottom ... like this - U ? Laughing

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 May 2013, 12:14 pm

Ah um ah well. Just testing. That was it just testing.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sat 01 Jun 2013, 1:53 am

Just catching up on the last videos and I've two new ones added to my YouTube favourites - thanks for that TowItch Alphabetical artists game - Page 7 3498837457

As no-one else has risen to the challenge of 'U', I'm going to have to finally nail my colours to the mast and declare who I believe to be the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Much maligned by many (who listen more to the crap in the media, rather than the band themselves) but have given me enormous pleasure since I first saw them live in the late 70's -

U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:10 am

Still knackered but this was meant to be a 30 second post but they never are, are they?

U2 never understood them until I found out they saw themselves as a Christian band. It explained a lot. N.B. they have played [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

So to V Get your leather pants strapped on for the old Tommy Vance Friday Rock Show theme as I thought but no there is much more to it. 1st is the Van Der Graaf Generator (Misspelt as per the band) piece as I know it then there is a classic piece to film then the George Martin pieces.

Just had a flash back I remember Peter Hammill playing support for Marillion. Lots of shouts for Red Shift.
    Either that was the last concert or it was one of the last concerts I ever went to where the shout for "Wally" went up while we were waiting for the band to play. I remember a tale told to me about this practice but does anyone else remember it?
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:17 am

Another great one Tow Itch - thanks for that.

I remember when my life revolved around 'TV on the radio' every Friday night.

I also vaguely remember the Wally thing too, was it something to do with a festival-goer on a bad acid trip calling out for a lost friend or something? You mentioned Marillion - there's a unique crowd chant associated with that band too - if I time it right when we get around to 'M' again I'll recount it.

Anyway for 'W' I'm going to take slight liberties again. Let's have some Robbie Williams

- no don't switch threads, it's not 'Angels', it's something far better done as part of the '1 Giant Leap' project - listen to the lyrics, they are instructive ...

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm

Done the obvious Zeds had to think about this 

The House Of Zekkarias and again in their more well known form

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:29 pm

Time for a revival of this.

I do hope my checking of tracks previously used is better than my ability to tell what letter comes next in the alphabet.

Can't believe I've not used this. The two different videos for the same song is because the sound (and video) quality on the original video is desperately poor but it is still worth viewing for the effort made in making the video. It's very of it's time unlike the band.

Slightly concerned at the number of Irish artists I've featured must be my cultural roots though I despise diddily diddily dee music.

So I give you A House performing Endless Art and I Am The Greatest

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 22 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm

I was wondering whether to let this lie as most other members appear to have lost interest. Perhaps some of the newer folk will join in and help us out.

Anyway, how can we let it lie when there's an opportunity to introduce / remind the world (or at least our little bit of it) of some of those great and criminally underrated bands like A House - another excellent choice Mr Itch Very Happy 

And when you're talking musical greatness you rarely have to look far for an Irish connection so I make no apologies for continuing the theme with what would have to be one of my Desert Island Discs. After all the thousands of times I've listened to it, those opening chords still hit the hairs on the back of my neck ... every time.

Paul Brady - Crazy Dreams

Looking for the song on YouTube I came across its prequel from about five years previously that I had never heard before. That's what's great about this thread!

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 22 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm

That might be a slow burn but I do like electric piano and steel guitar. Probably a Band residual.

Right I have used one Irish band and you another Irish artist.

No point being too clever for the third selection in a A, B, C of Irish artists.

An obvious C for Mickfest and two obvious songs. I do know someone who hates this band but how you can't be ripped apart by the voice is beyond me.

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:00 am

Still no other takers? Crying or Very sad 

I have to say that dear Dolores' voice doesn't do it for me either - she seems to have that 'Marmite' effect on people Laughing 

Now, mention of bricks in barrels on another thread and a spare 'D' slot did leave me tempted to post another Irish act but I never could stand them so it's over to other Celtic cousins and a 'less is more' version of their main crowd pleaser -

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:10 am

Dolores O'Riordan is just stupendous I've been fortunate enough to hear her sing amongst friends, probably haven taken a drink (her, I definitely had) and she still cuts through a room. Any lesser opinion of her is savagely harsh.
    Speaking of harsh so is the sign above Gloria Hunniford at the start of your last video.

Not taking the music so seriously but this is still an immense talent though normally playing records rather than performing on them.

bedwok
    bedwok

Post by bedwok Sun 04 Aug 2013, 12:31 am

Ok i know i am very behind with this thread..........however there are some great shouts on here ! i was quite suprised to see Focus get a mention let alone to learn they still tour.....missed that 1........... but i am wondering if anyone listens to any new bands ? there are some crackers knocking about at the moment I wont go on and bore folk with a huge list and attached videos but i will suggest a couple The phantom band (think there maybe 2 of these i refer to the scottish one) done a few albums but try "checkmate savage " for a start. Low (been around a while i guess so not that new) good album to start with "drums and guns" go on have a listen to the whole albums
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:35 am

Aw come on bedwok we want an alphabetical artist out of you...........please.
    bedwok
    bedwok

Post by bedwok Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:31 am

Yes indeed Free "fire and water " i tried to add you tube vid but have not sussed how to do it on android just yet i will keep trying tho...........
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:53 pm

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:12 pm

Hope that version is okay bedwock. If you drop down the arrow at the top right of the screen on Android you should get an option to go to the classic site, which will give you all the usual posting options including the Youtube link.

I agree entirely that there is some great new music around at the moment. I love Low (although they have been around for 20 years now - that's scary!). I'll be seeing them live again weekend after next and really looking forward to it. I'm not familiar with The Phantom Band but will certainly check them out.

So something new for 'G' then? Well here's a band I've been listening to a lot recently

Grass House - Faun

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:00 pm

Grrrrr Wait for ages for people to post then I miss out on G which I wanted to post on. We will have to go round more quickly this time.

Not much on the Madchester scene, had moved out of the area and to be honest I was probably a little too old though older folk doubtlessly got involved.
    Went out for a drink yesterday and had one in the sort of quality establishment that has eight flat screens with music videos on and a jukebox as well. The videos were courtesy of 4 music despite the median age in the pub being about mid 50's.
    One of the carp(sic) videos had a recognizable guitar riff so thought I'd select the piece the riff came from.

Thought you would have gone for something newer bedwok rather than a classic.

Must have drunk more than I thought. False memory implant. It was the Stone Roses. Now will I be able to remember what it was by the time we reach S?
    bedwok
    bedwok

Post by bedwok Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:49 pm

Yes thats a great version thanks.......i take it you are off the greenman festival ? Yes i did think about putting something new on but Free are one of my fave bands i couldnt resist it !
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:54 am

Yes indeed ... Greenman is my favourite four days of the year, every year Laughing 

Usually a complete mudfest and looks like being no different this year but the stoicism of performers and punters in the face of adversity seems to add something special to the magic that's already there.

'I' is always a tricky one. I'll stick with the Manchester theme, a band I still think of as 'new' even though they're not, and one I've always hoped to see on the bill at Green Man

I am Kloot - Hold Back The Night

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 12:44 am