Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Underseal Chassis

hannah3dog

Underseal Chassis Empty Underseal Chassis

Post by hannah3dog Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

I've got an old Dandy 4/5 and the underside seems not in bad nick though the underseal (rubbery) has come off in places and the chassis is rusted. Can anyone advise me if I should just wire brush the chassis and then slap on hammerite underseal (it is rubbery when dry) or paint the rust first with rust proof primer before using the underseal? Thank You
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Underseal Chassis Empty Re: Underseal Chassis

Post by Helen Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Hi,

we have an old dandy that needs a bit of tlc, my dad brushed off the rust to see what was what and if it was more than just rust, it wasn't and has had a coat of underseal Smile
    hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

Hi Helen - did he use anything underneath the underseal? (I've never used it before!)
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:48 pm

When we rebuilt Phoenix we cleaned the rust of the chassis rails we left on and then hammerited them and the new ones we had fitted. We then used schultz on the whole of the underside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

I'm not sure what my dad used ..... I hope it was good stuff though because he gave our Dandy a coat underneath too Laughing
    hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog Sun 03 Feb 2013, 9:19 pm

Just to report, I used Hammerite Underbody Seal. I rang their technical department and they advised hand wire brush all loose rust and muck off and put one coat on with a brush. I raised the Dandyaround 18" and crawled underneath.It took around 4 hours each to wire brush and apply the underseal. I used one 500ml tin with a one inch brush. Its very thick and doesn't drip but you need the temp over 6 degrees C. I used a fan heater. I must say it looks pretty good and I'm very pleased. Thank you for allyour advice - I Hope this may help someone else

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 4:52 pm