Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

gas struts

jeff58

gas struts Empty gas struts

Post by jeff58 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Hi to everybody Ihave a six berth dandy Ihurt my back and would like tonow if any body could advise me on fitting extra gas stuts on the bed ends to make it easyer to put up please any ideas would be most help full
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

gas struts Empty Re: gas struts

Post by mike Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:51 pm

There is a company that will do it for a reasonable price hopefully some one will give you the link,have you got them on the side walls.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:06 pm

Search on gas struts and there is a long thread about fitting. The struts are as per MG metro. I had a bit of a thing about fitting positions and was going to fit some and see if I could negotiate for some sort of discount on struts. Is your six berth a 6, or a Lowside or Highside Destiny. If a 6 do you have struts on the walls? Some of the earlier ones didn't.
    Struts are about sub £100 for the bits, £200 the chappy Staffordshire or £300 by Riva.

See: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If that doesn't last you till bedtime try the Yahoo Group [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you need a Yahoo email address to join. There are two files there on how to fit gas struts.

Any questions please get back.

So Jeff as asked what is the 6 berth how long have you had it etc. As Ms Numbers always says we love photos. Ah you can't post these on site for a week but you can link us to Photobucket or similar. If you have any good photos and don't use photobucket say I'll PM you an email address to send to then host them for you
    DandyRich

gas struts Empty Gas struts on beds

Post by DandyRich Fri 04 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

Hi there, sorry to hear that you have hurt your back.

Some time ago, I used to hire Dandies out and I 'cracked' fitting the gas strut assistance.
    The instructions on the interweb are, unfortunately wrong (the author talks about having to 'file slotted holes' to make it work!)
    As I had several Dandies, I had brackets made up and then practised fitting on my oldest ones first.
    I arrived at a template for fitting and I had 100 brackets made up.

The great news was that gas struts do make it much lighter and smoother to erect. There is a side effect that the struts stabilise the structure and restrict twisting of the bed in the wind. I used them to allow singleton campers to hire my Dandies but they are great for helping 'bad-back' campers to continue Dandying.

I use different struts than Rover ones but I use refurbished ones rather than new as the new struts cost £45 each (£180.)
    Do contact me and I will see if it is possible to help.

Richard
    navver

Post by navver Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm

This is a link that Hidehi (a former forum member) posted some time ago when someone called Richard fitted some to his. I get a feeling this is DandyRich in the last post. Hidehi said he did a great job.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've got them on my designer and they are a great help but there is still a fair bit of lifting involved getting the sides up. You can fit struts for the sides as well though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 3:39 am