Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Gas struts

gazzer

Gas struts Empty Gas struts

Post by gazzer Fri 07 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

Hi new to the club looking for info on how to fit gas struts to my dandy 5 berth beds.Possible for diagrams /instructions which type of struts and brackets (possible to make these?) where to position them etc any help would be great regads gary randall Laughing
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Gas struts Empty Re: Gas struts

Post by mike Fri 07 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

gazzer wrote:Hi new to the club looking for info on how to fit gas struts to my dandy 5 berth beds.Possible for diagrams /instructions which type of struts and brackets (possible to make these?) where to position them etc any help would be great regads gary randall Laughing

Gas struts 1217042266 to the forum,i will let Kevin (towitch) pick this one up he has gone into it a fair bit,or if John logs on he may be able to help.

mike
    gazzer

Post by gazzer Fri 07 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

Thanks for info will keep checking in for any help regard gary
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 07 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Have you read this,think it can get a bit confusing but in practice i believe its a simple job.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 08 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

Gazzer

If you can find the time to read it will explain where I was going to ish.

Why I stopped:

I got quite a good price offered by a gas strut supplier but the brackets they offered for the bed ends were horrendously ugly.

If you look at Nicks photos on page 5 you will see the brackets as per Riva design which is as per the home made featured in the Yahoo group file area. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] What I wanted to offer was a made up kit of struts brackets and possibly even pop rivets. The brackets featured are complicated as they are welded. If you use off the shelf brackets like John you still need alloy shims. I thought of producing an alloy bracket that was just drilled and tapped to take a screw in ball. The fact is though even if a group purchase was only 15 sets of struts that would still mean making 60 alloy brackets. I approached a third party about forming them but that died a death.

The company I got the best contact from actually produced a strut that was marginally different than the Rover strut so it would mean that replacements needed to come from them or I'd need to try and find a similar deal from one of the other suppliers.

At the time I was writing this I had another problem that was taking a lot of my time and causing me no end of grief.

If folk are interested I'll get it up and running after I get back from Goodwood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 4:00 am