Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Helen
mike
Dogs&Co
7 posters

Another newbie

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Another newbie - Page 2 Empty Re: Another newbie

Post by Caz1960 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:54 pm

not really depends on when your camping?,what heating you use, and as mike has shown you can do a DIY job your self
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm

Dogs&Co wrote:I have seen one with the awning but it's not winterised, does it make much of a difference?

As said when are you going camping? A Dandy is warmer than canvas anyway. Does it have an heater? I'd take an uninsulated dandy with a heater before an insulated one without.
    Dogs&Co

Post by Dogs&Co Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

Our season is usually April to October. We should have camped at Easter with our Cabanon Stratos but the week before with the sub zero temperatures we chickened out and hired a cottage. But friends of ours have a winterised Dandy and camped and said they were fine. I just presumed that the winterised Dandy's were alot warmer. We have plenty of heaters!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:00 am

Dogs&Co wrote:Our season is usually April to October. We should have camped at Easter with our Cabanon Stratos but the week before with the sub zero temperatures we chickened out and hired a cottage. But friends of ours have a winterised Dandy and camped and said they were fine. I just presumed that the winterised Dandy's were alot warmer. We have plenty of heaters!

Yes but do they limit you to an EHU and the expense of the hook up?

I must admit I was glad I have an insulated Dandy over Easter but it was the heater that was the best part.
    N.B. my avatar is from camping during Christmas 2011 which was far warmer than this last Easter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dogs&Co

Post by Dogs&Co Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:08 am

That looks really neat! We have a small gas canister camping heater and also a parabolic 2kw one that goes on the gas bottle. There is the added worry of carbon monoxide with those if there isn't sufficient ventilation. I still do fancy the winterised one though. I will just have to be patient and maybe one will come along shortly.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:25 am

Yes there is the worry of CO with parabolic heaters not to mention increased fire risks. Have used a parabolic heater in the awning but the Dandy had its underfloor heater on overnight over Easter.
    Used a 2Kw electric convector heater over the winter as the site was cheap enough. Sat down watching a video in T shirt, jeans and socks, warmer than being at home.
    The Saturday night to Sunday morning over Easter was V cold, a strong ground frost in the morning and some winds. I remember pulling my arm back under the duvet as it was cold but I sleep in a T shirt only. With respect to the Dandy the velcro could do with replacing so some through draught also the awning was not up, that would have further shielded the dandy from the wind and provided more insulation.
    I can remember growing up with frost inside the window pane over winter the Dandy was far warmer.
    navver

Post by navver Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:06 pm

We were in the caravan that night, with the heating on and were lovely and warm. It would have been cold without the heating though and it did take several hours for it to heat up before we felt warm enough. Part of this was not knowing how much heat we needed so did underdo it a bit at first. Tried it on no 3 first and ended up on no 7.

It's very encouraging that you were warm enough in thre Dandy.

As far as I understsnd the Dandy underfloor heater is balanced flue meaaning that the gas flame is in a tube sealed from the inside of the dandy. This means Carbom Monoxide should not get into the Dandy except possibly through an open window or ventilator near the flue.

A gas heater on a cannister is burning inside the space and will build up CO unless it is well ventilated.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:09 pm

You do have to watch for snow blocking the vents underneath the Dandy ..... if you fancy camping in snow Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 10:00 pm