Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Modifications?

family_of_3
    family_of_3

Modifications? Empty Modifications?

Post by family_of_3 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

I noticed a few of you have modified your dandy's with things such as insulation etc. So I was wondering what modifications you would do to a delta like mine? We want to make the most out of our little dandy Smile

Modifications? 115684958 
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Modifications? Empty Re: Modifications?

Post by family_of_3 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 12:11 am

Also which would be the best way to insulate the walls of our dandy? Iv noticed mixed views Modifications? 143088812 
    iancrimbo

Post by iancrimbo Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:59 am

I would research, mull things over and go for a few trips in your dandy before doing anything. I have quite a few ideas gathered from sites like this for mods but not done any yet. not camped in really cold but cold enough for the condensation in the awning to freeze last september and it was still warm enough in the dandy without a heater or added insulation. Enjoy :-)
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Tue 09 Jul 2013, 6:40 am

I agree, take time to take stock of what you really want to do. It's more important that what you've got is in a good state of repair. Especially things like your gas line and any wiring.
    Things like gas struts and insulation are nice to have but not essential. We've camped in minus 13 temperatures, in an un-insulated Dandy, without problems and without being cold. There's not much that will remove the 'Dandy Grin' from your faces. Mod's only serve to make the grin wider. Enjoy 'bomb proof camping' and pity those around you who haven't got a Dandy!

Steve
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:23 am

Thanks for the good advice Very Happy 

To be honest with you we couldnt really do any mods immediately anyway but I was just wondering what people would recommend doing when the time comes. So far it looks to be in good condition. We paid £950 for it so I am hoping it doesnt need lots doing to it. From what I have seen of it so for all looks in good condition and like it has been well looked after. The previous owner said the electrics had been re-done a few years ago too so fingers crossed they are all good. I guess we will find out this weekend. lol

We are hoping to have some good all year camping trips but have to be sure our daughter is comfortable (nothing worse than a grumpy 3 year old.lol) I was worried it may get a little cold for her and that was my reason for looking into the wall insulation but if you dont think that would be a problem then great. I dont think we would be taking her away if it was too cold.

The one thing I do to do is some sort of insulation to the bed panels as I have been told they get condensation. (plus its piece of mind that Little one is comfortable).

I was planning on ordering the bubble aluminium stuff from ebay and do it with that. Do you think that would do the trick?

Thanks again Smile

navver

Post by navver Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

When I first got mine, I just checked over the maintenance items, wheel bearings, hitch damper, tyres, electrics, gas & road lights to make sure that was all in order.

On the improvement front, I would like to increase internal storage especially for clothes. At the moment we use a holdall each. What I would like to do is form a wing wall mounted locker to hook into place, which could be collapsed to fit in the car for travelling. Thinking plywood base and shelf with canvas sides etc to hang from the wing bars each side of the kitchen shelf.
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 2:01 pm

I have checked over and so far everything looks in good nick but I dont have the best eye for things like that. My hubby checked it over when we bought it so im guessing all was well then but he will be ging over it thoroughly tomorrow Smile

Extra storage is a great idea, maybe something we will look into in the futre, For now I have a hanging clothes tidy that I have in my wardrobe at home that I am going to take with me and hang in the awning Smile

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm

the thing we did that I think comes in really handy is this ............ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

it was cheap to do but probably the most beneficial thing we've done other than maintenance
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

Thank you helen. One of the previous owners have actually done something similar Smile I will post a pic tomorrow.

I love your Dandy btw. You have really made it look beautiful I love you 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:08 am

Thank you ...... we love it, it's served us well and we've had lots of happy times and always been really comfortable. Yours will do the same for your family x
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 9:44 am

I hope so Smile

We spent the whole day yesterday going through it. Cleaning and making sure everything was as it should be. I have taken a few photos but I think can only upload them one I have been a member for 7 days.

One of the previous owners was a electrician and renewed the electrics. I dont have a clue what comes as standard with a delta but we have 4 plug sockets (2 inside the seat box thing and to on the outside, a set of 3 switches in the seat box by the door (i think they are light switches), a actual light built in to the seat and some lights for the awning. Are the standard?

I have also put all the cusions/mattress inside duvet covers as we are not to keen on the origonal seat covers but more importantly if our daughter messes them up with anything then I can just take them off and wash them Smile

We cant wait for saturday! My little girl said she wants to live in it. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 2:20 pm