Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
KB
Caz1960
mike
Tow Itch
8 posters

Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp?

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? Empty Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp?

Post by Tow Itch Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:11 pm

Title says it all be it from before Christmas to the period between Christmas and New Year or any other variation.

Anyone fancy a Christmas Camp?

I'm open to ideas.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? Empty Re: Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp?

Post by mike Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:41 pm

Wish we could i enjoy being away at that time.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

sorry not for me I am hibernating Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? 3462454224 Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? 3462454224  just decided must do crafting to get stock up and plan for next years adventures
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 28 Nov 2013, 6:49 pm

I have been mulling over this. I'd also been mulling over the fact that I had not been to Dent this year.
    My mate Chris had camped at Dent in February but not at a site I would choose to camp at. While there the owner of the site we normally use had said that if asked he could have sorted something out. So even though the site is notionally closed we believed that we could sort out a winter camp. Alas not.
    So can't use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] won't use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Morally won't (Margaret reneged on a deal offered to a good friend who held a rally there) financially can't afford (best part of £20.00 per night and a low restriction on amps for EHU).
    Looked at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but site closed for winter and even the static caravan is drained down. Even in desperation considered [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but it's miles out of Dent with nothing close by it's even a mile from the nearest pub and that has limited opening hours.
    More thought was required, maps guides were consulted. Hawes seemed like an idea but either closed at this time of year, no dogs, C&CC only, CC only,  no caravans or only caravans. Why would I care about caravans and dogs? My mate Chris has both.
    There was one site a little further North that we have often thought about camping at but for various reasons not got round to, this is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]at Ravenstonedale. Also looked at nearby Kirkby Stephen and saw this site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    We wanted somewhere with a likelihood of snow both these sites offered this but with the bonus that both are on (or just off) a main trunk road that would be gritted and ploughed to allow access whatever the weather.
    Chris was picking a second hand hot tub up from Edinburgh on Tuesday so we reasoned that it wouldn't be too big a divert from the route to review these two sites.
    Low Greenside Farm: Though it doesn't cater for caravans as such we were told it wouldn't be a problem as they envisaged us as their only customers over Christmas. There is a possibility of 2 EHU's but there were downsides. The shower is located in a static caravan but would be drained down (is already drained down) so no showers only the toilet. The static caravan also functioned as a common room and has a multi fuel stove. Unfortunately  the multi fuel stove is broke so the common room wouldn't be heated. This sounds like a really scathing review but nothing could be further from the truth and Low Greenside Farm is a lovely traditional camp site, it's just not quite suitable for a winter camp this year.
    Takoda Camping: This site is just a 5 to 10 minute walk out of Kirkby Stephen. Not as twee as some nearby towns Kirkby Stephen does have adequate places to eat and drink a few small tourist attractions and being on Settle Carlisle line would allow a trip to Settle for the day over the most impressive part of the line the Ribblehead Viaduct. On arrival was met by the owner and shown over the site. Though lacking in any EHU the site is quite attractive it has adequate showers in warm shower rooms and perhaps most important at this time of year a heated common room.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The common room and the small fore area to Takoma Camping

The train trip to Settle can get a bit snowy.

Anyone Interested In Joining Us?

One limitation of the last site looked at is the fact that they don't want anyone on site on Christmas Day. This suited us but might not fit in with others ideas.
    Does anyone else have any ideas or even want to camp at Christmas?

Left Field Candidate

I've tried as best I can to look to features that others might want. Though I can see I've not offered anything with EHU. Any other ideas are welcome but if no one else is interested there is a left field candidate that is available that also might appeal to the more venturesome.

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  It will be cold, WINDY and I have some trepidation about camping here but Chris fancies it and if there is no one else interested I may give it a go.
    If you have no comprehension of this area I warn it can be a bit bleak. I have seen stones picked up from the car park by the wind on a summers day and one of these used to be parked at the side to get guests home in inclement weather.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:42 pm

flower Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? 1710857839  that looks great Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? 9639063 that I can not join you thought of everything Mr Tow itch Anyone Fancy A Christmas Camp? 2170595768 
    KB

Post by KB Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:25 am

Hi TI,

First, thank you for the post, it was extremely informative and must have taken quite some time to put together.

I was intrigued by what you mentioned about High Laning so I clicked the link and found their account had been suspended by UK Campsite so...well...says it all really!

Unfortunately, I can't make a meet over the seasonal period, hopefully I'll get to go to one sometime soon, but thanks once again for your post.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:15 pm

KB wrote:Hi TI,

First, thank you for the post, it was extremely informative and must have taken quite some time to put together.

I was intrigued by what you mentioned about High Laning so I clicked the link and found their account had been suspended by UK Campsite so...well...says it all really!

Unfortunately, I can't make a meet over the seasonal period, hopefully I'll get to go to one sometime soon, but thanks once again for your post.

Thanks for the generous reply. As for taking a while, I'm not known for short posts.

As for High Laning It's plain from at least half the posts on UK Campsite that the site isn't cheap, it's not that clear how expensive as they don't post their rates on their website. Most of my issues are of a personal nature as the deal that was broken was with The MZ Riders Club who first introduced me to camping in Dent (& Winter Camping) and with chap called Mark Dicker who organised an AGM of the club on the site having previously organised several winter camps there  . Mark wasn't always the easiest of people but he had immense personal integrity and I owed him a great debt for his help with my early motorcycling efforts. Mark swore he would never go back there and I can't do any different. The winter camp was also attended by the Cossack and, Panther Owners Club. It can be seen also where in Dent the Cossack OC choose to camp these days. Can't access Panther OC photos can't even access MZRC photos at the moment despite being a member.

Not sure what you meant by High Laning's UK Campsite account being suspended it still shows up on searches. Also I would have to confess that I am also barred from UK Campsite so I can't throw stones there. (barred after a non belligerent question about why a post had been removed, it was a what have I said wrong so I can correct it in future type question.) Ah see what you meant you were referring to the link to High Laning's own website.  http://www.highlaning.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi I presume they have just stopped paying for this. It was there two days ago, they now appear to be using this site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Also to be fair to them their site no longer boasts the claim that the site never floods which the old website used to claim. I have several photos on here from 2012 showing the site in flood.
    Enough of this sort of thing back to the subject of a winter camp.

I never posted rates for Takoda £8.00 per person per night. Rates for the Tan Hill Inn £3.00. No I just phoned up the camping is £2.00 pppn (At least) it goes into the cave rescue charity box. Toilets there are but not showers or there might not be showers as they are reserved for paying guests but one never knows what charm and pleasant requests provide.
    New Years Eve if wanted is by ticket £20.00 though it includes a 3 course meal and the evenings entertainment.

Some of you older members may have seen the Tan Hill Inn on television or in film. Oh I'm wrong I always thought that the Tan Hill Inn was the Interior of the Slaughtered Lamb, apparently not but others seem to make this mistake as well.

jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sat 30 Nov 2013, 10:20 pm

I just mentioned the possibility of going to the Tan Hill Inn at the time mooted and got the reply "You can go if you want". Sounds promising Twisted Evil
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 08 Dec 2013, 8:42 pm

Lovely though Kirkby Stephen and Takoda is the extreme of the Tan Hill may be the site if it's just Chris and I. If you have any interest but don't fancy the Tan Hill please speak to me soon.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm

As no interest expressed it's looking like the Tan Hill Inn. Not quite sure if from Boxing Day or the day after to New Years Day. If anyone fancies going out for a drive and meeting up on one of the days please try to make contact and we will try to arrange to be in.
    Chris bought a new, well new to him caravan last week a Rapido. Not the folding type but a pop top. It looks a bit like this except that the door is on the rear quater. He is a bit unsure of the model type as he can only find images of ones with rear quarter doors that are newer in design. Also with the exception of one film on Youtube all the ones with rear quarter doors have rear kitchens and his model has a side kithchen.  

We were both amazed by the condition for a mid eighties caravan.
    For those of you who had seen Chris's previous caravan. No it didn't fall apart, he is now trading from a new unit without suitable outside storage so a pop top can be stored inside.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Tue 17 Dec 2013, 1:55 pm

Found a picture of Tan Hill  Shocked 

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 17 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

Thanks Jake.
    I'd been searching for images of that. Though I remember it from years past (it was sponsored by Theakstons at one point) I don't think they have it anymore.
    Quite hopeful of getting away from the pub though (how can you be hopeful to get away from a pub?) they have a new member of staff.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 18 Dec 2013, 6:28 am

Hi Kevin, we're having a quiet Christmas this year but may have a drive over to Tan Hill  santa 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 19 Dec 2013, 10:45 pm

You would be more than welcome.
    Remember: 1) To phone the day before or early on to check we will be around. Er will I have a Phone signal? 2) Bring sleeping bags just incase the weather turns. Well either that or the beer monster attacks!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 22 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Terrible weather forecast from tomorrow with gale force winds and possibly a white Christmas ....... we may just stay home in the warm  Embarassed 
    Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry Wed 25 Dec 2013, 11:52 am

For personal reasons it's just not on the cards for me to be camping this December. Unfortunately it's looking more likely that the Dandy will have to go when the season starts in favour of something more rigid and self-propelled. With luck I should be in a position to make a definite decision by the end of January/early February.

Despite the dire weather forecast there isn't a breath of wind here and the sun is shining just about as bright as you could hope for at this time of year!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 26 Dec 2013, 9:05 am

Hi Sir Henry, there is someone currently selling a camper van and would like a dandy in part ex, they have pictures on our FB group [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope Kevin and Chris have both had a lovely Christmas day X x x
    Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry Thu 26 Dec 2013, 11:16 am

Thanks. I saw that auction, but I'm completely skint until some time in January. Happy new year to all.

Forgot to mention that the MOT has run out on that campervan and the tax is only good for a month or two. Nevertheless I've been in contact with him so we'll see how things progress over the next few weeks.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 27 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

We put the start on hold till tomorrow as we didn't fancy erecting the Designer in gale force winds.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 27 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm

I've been thinking of you both quite a bit whilst looking out the window at the tree's ....... really pleased you waited and are safe x
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 02 Jan 2014, 11:40 pm

Hello.

I'm finally back. We were coming back yesterday but while "Dandys may be packed away wet" I don't think the instructions covered 40mph+ wind and rain in the possible scenarios.
    I was logged on earlier, read through the posts and started to write but fell asleep. Don't feel particularly energetic now so I'll leave posting on the trip till tomorrow.
    Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry Fri 03 Jan 2014, 12:12 am

I had a similar problem while packing it away after doing some work on mine. When I opened it up several days later to dry it out I found that it was already dry inside!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 03 Jan 2014, 9:02 am

Just pleased your home safe, you probably already know this Kevin but when we pack away wet we make sure that when we park the Dandy up we lift the front end with the jockey wheel so that any water will run out the back end.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:43 am

I was quite shot at. I think that I discovered the point where though still warm and dry the time away became more of an endurance than an enjoyment.
    Also my phone is shot and I'm using a poverty spec one at the moment so i couldn't use it for photos. Though in actuality there was such a depth of field that a phone wouldn't have been ideal for photos anyway. I ended up waiting for pictures from Chris's camera.

We left to go on the camp on the Saturday after Christmas. Arriving just in time to complete the basic setup before dark.
    As one who has suffered from the cold (especially in the past) I was surprised that it was Chris who mentioned to me that he was glad we had got that complete as he was beginning to lose feeling in his hands.
    While it wasn't half as bad as it could have been there was a fair bit of wind and we might have been better off forming the hitch end wall before the door end wall as what we ended up with was an inflated bag of wind inside the Dandy. It all sort of went together though but a few more MPH of wind and it could have been something very different.
    I have mentioned the Tan Hill Inn but I think it's hard to see from the pictures used previously to see just how desolate the place is. We in the end were quite fortunate I thought that we would be camping in the car park on the sheltered side of the pub but we were told about a small depression about 200 to 250 yards further up called the quarry that people camped in. This area with walls of over 3ft and then raised moor around it was a godsend. I can't imagine what it would have been like if we'd pitched next to the pub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rather than my normal packing of everything shovelled into the car and 4 Sainsburys/Lidl bags for life I'd actually got my packing together this time. One case for clothes and a second case for a large thick sleeping bag plus 2 pillows, a sheet, pyjamas (unheard of for me) and dressing gown come smoking jacket. Though I managed to avoid catching the sleeve on the gas rings, so it didn't!
    What is it with me and duvets! Just before leaving the house I put a new cover on my duvet, then failed to put it into my car, so yet another camping trip commencing without a duvet. D'oh! Heater or no heater and thick sleeping bag or not I wasn't looking forward to the coming night. We braved a trip down to the pub. It was cold and the wind was beginning to rise with a slight rain. I can't adequately explain the blackness that descended but I can confirm that it wasn't in jest that I counted the number of paces from the turn off to the quarry from the cattle grid near the pub. The drunken mistake of walking too far and passing the turn off could get desperately unfunny very quickly in this weather.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 09 Jan 2014, 10:35 pm

I really think you should get a roofbox and put a duvet in it ..... that way you know if you've not put the box on the roof you have no duvet.  That looks lovely in the daytime and would be my idea of real camping (in the summer, nice weather and light nights) I would have been more than a bit worried about moving away from the Dandy and can imagine how dark it must have been.  Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 4:47 pm