Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
Eilis
Helen
Cazz
Tow Itch
vickoir
mike
10 posters

Would you camp in the winter

Poll

Would you camp in the winter

[ 11 ]
    Would you camp in the winter Bar_left73%Would you camp in the winter Bar_right [73%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Would you camp in the winter Bar_left7%Would you camp in the winter Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Would you camp in the winter Bar_left13%Would you camp in the winter Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Would you camp in the winter Bar_left0%Would you camp in the winter Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Would you camp in the winter Bar_left7%Would you camp in the winter Bar_right [7%] 

Total Votes: 15
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Would you camp in the winter Empty Would you camp in the winter

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

Thought i would see if members where willing to use there dandy's in the winter.

mike
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Would you camp in the winter Empty Re: Would you camp in the winter

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

We do camp all year round,its nice if the weather is good but if it isn't we tend to snuggle up in the dandy heater on,read,talk,and just relax.

mike
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sun 31 Jul 2011, 3:08 pm

no probs with winter camping in dandy for those that dont know thats mine and nicks old delta in the snow on the forum banner near hadrians wall this january Wink
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 3:18 pm

Never camped in the snow yet,i always seem to miss it but as i have said these where in minus 8c but inside the dandy was T shirt temperature

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Dear All

My apologies if I've told this tale before.
    The 3rd weekend in January Was always the MZ winter camp. In the years I attended It appeared to be perennially in Dent.
    Now the first time I went, knowing the area but not Dent I went over the road from just past Ingleton to Dent.
    Five cattle gates would have been amusing enough in summer, but it was a frosty winter getting colder with the fading light.
    The roads tended to have steep gradients either side of the gates and I was struggling for places to prop up a well loaded motorcycle.
    Just through this and within a mile of Dent if I had but known it my luck ran out. Throwing the bike down the road on a surface of frozen mud and cow poo. Ripped a front indicator off and broke the mounting for the speedo/tacho. About £15 worth of damage! One of the good reasons for MZ ownership. Of more immediate concern at this point was the thought that I had shredded my tent. Fortunately though fatal for both bags it was in the tent suffered no worse that a hole the size of a cigarette burn.
    Campsite found and tent set up the nights frolics ensued.
    More to the point here was the nights sleep, it was miserable. I was bitterly cold.
    The sleeping arrangements were a four seasons Vango sleeping bag and a foam pad. Makes me realise how hardy I have been. That was the first time I ever used an under bed pad.
    Clothing Worn and also slept in consisted; of socks, thick outer socks,underpants, long johns, leather trousers, T shirt, shirt jumper and fleece hat.
    If any of you remember the 90's fashion(?) for fleece walking hat's the "Jester's Cap" design did not aid sleep if some genius had stitched little bells to the end of all the spikes.
    The hat was no real problem, the real problem was the cold and I needed something else to stay warm. The solution a thick plastic orange "survival bag" I had with me.
    Though both mornings were greeted with tents "solid" with frost I was comparatively warm the second night. Sleeping well right up to the point of. "Argh Wat's.......Oh God No What Have I done?" When I eventually calmed down I decided that as the 1/2 pint or so of liquid in the bag was between the bag and the waterproof sleeping bag that it must be condensed perspiration. Dry underpants and long johns also confirmed this.
    Upon breaking camp I noticed that the new tent as well as the hole was shedding it's stitching. As it was new I returned it mentioning the hole I caused but asking about the stitching. I was told to forget about the hole and given a new tent. If your in Warrington I then happily recommend the camping shop as you come out on the A49.
    Whether winterised or not I reckon camping under PVC with a heater is going to be a doddle.

Kevin.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

Absolutely right Kevin dandy camping will be a doddle
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

Come on own up,is that Jane that needs talking into it Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

Dear All

Don't know if I'm impressed or just shocked, no ones blamed the other half yet!

Kevin.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:19 pm

Obviously we've not camped in the Dandy in the winter, well we've not camped in it at all yet, lol. But we've camped in the camper in many winters, we've only had snow once though.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

I've got one of these, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they are excellent for cold evenings, I also have it over the bed at night. Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

I enjoy camping in the winter months, bonus is that the sites are cheaper, quiet and you tend to get the campsite almost to yourself and the scenery can be stunning.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm

cazz wrote:I've got one of these, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] they are excellent for cold evenings, I also have it over the bed at night. Very Happy

that looks lovely Very Happy
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

mike wrote:Come on own up,is that Jane that needs talking into it Very Happy
    How did you guess? lol! Would you camp in the winter 1710857839
    Nigel said he would so it looks like it's just me that needs to be talked into it (chance at September meet maybe!)
    Faceman
    Faceman

Post by Faceman Sun 31 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm

The thought of camping just after Christmas definitely appeals and we'll have a few spare days. Might have to convince jayne first tho! Laughing
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:59 am

Tow Itch wrote:
    Dear All

Don't know if I'm impressed or just shocked, no ones blamed the other half yet!

Kevin.

John will probably blame me Kevin not that I wont but that I made him. We have also done the brave tent in ice camping I remember my mum had knitted my Daughter (Laura) a peach coloured jumper and insisted she take it with us, we had such a row about that jumper as she was a fashion freak at the time (teenager) who 'just was not going to wear that as it's awful and old fashioned and doe's she think I'm 90' affraid

The cold came up through the ground and the airbed and it was bloody awful, we were physically shaking and teeth really were chattering to the extent that our jaws hurt too, we only had cheap sleeping bags at the time and we must have also had brain freeze because we didn't even consider getting in the car and turning the heater on. The following morning we headed to the nearest store and bought 4 duvets, we put a picnic blanket underneath each airbed and then a duvet on the top of the airbed with a sleeping bag and another duvet over the top of that. Although it was cold and very frosty we did sleep better than the night before but were still uncomfortable until the sun finally came up and the tent felt warmer when we eventually managed to get some sleep before packing up and going home. The most memorable part about it was watching Laura emerge in the mornings with the afore mentioned Peach jumper on, jeans under pj bottoms and she had also slept in her beloved white boots too.She had on so many clothes she looked like the mitchellin man. We did say never again but eventually did go again in February in a tent and ended up driving around the field to keep warm (we were the only ones there) a few days later we did drive home during the night ditching the tent and going back for it 2 days later. That was the last time we camped in a tent and even when we had used the Dandy for a couple of years John still wasn't having the winter camp thing but I eventually managed to get him to go away in March when we experienced very cold temperatures and snow, we were warm in the Dandy and this did manage to convince him. He will now camp any time of the year with the knowledge that we will not get hypothermia or have to drive home in the middle of the night and that we can Dandy and be warm at any time of the year. Saying all that though he still prefers to camp in the warmer weather.
    stephanie

Post by stephanie Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

mmm - not so sure unless got some insulation. Camped in Sept last year with the Dandy and it was cold and damp as we had so much condensation as the night was freezing but the days had been hot. But used to go sailing in the winter and over weekend and that wasn't too bad so I suppose its just making sure you have the right gear.

steph
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:07 am

I do think that the insulation makes a big difference, we do have it and my daughter doesn't and there is a difference. Would you camp in the winter 3498837457
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

stephanie wrote:mmm - not so sure unless got some insulation. Camped in Sept last year with the Dandy and it was cold and damp as we had so much condensation as the night was freezing but the days had been hot. But used to go sailing in the winter and over weekend and that wasn't too bad so I suppose its just making sure you have the right gear.

steph

It is the insulation that makes the difference because then you can have as much heat as you want without condensation,if you think about it even in a canvass tent if you had minus 8c outside and high twentys inside you would have hot air meeting cold surface and would get condensation,the difference would be it would soak into the canvass
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:01 pm

The Admiral wrote:
    mike wrote:Come on own up,is that Jane that needs talking into it Very Happy
    How did you guess? lol! Would you camp in the winter 1710857839
    Nigel said he would so it looks like it's just me that needs to be talked into it (chance at September meet maybe!)

May just mention it in September Laughing
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Would you camp in the winter Empty We would camp in winter!

Post by Owd Lad Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:25 pm

During the early to mid nineties there were relatively few sites that were open during winter and it was partly through this that we decided there was more of an adventure to winter camping. Our first Dandy, a Designer, was uninsulated and our first venture out in winter without awning taught us a few things, like, make sure that you use propane, get an EHU and use an electric heater to supplement the underfloor heater. Condensation was a problem, but not as much as we expected, and it was necessary to give all the bedding and mattresses a good 'heated' airing during the day. The next trip out was over Xmas with temps of -13. More bodies meant more condensation so the same 'airing' precedure was needed daily but also meant a warmer camper . Propane meant that the heater worked more effectively and the use of the awning, in which we ran an electric heater, also helped keep us snug.
    Subsequently we had an insulated Destiny, for which we never had an awning nor an underfloor heater. We used a 1500w electric ceramic heater in that and never suffered from the cold or condensation, except for the beds which again needed to be aired daily. I do wish that we'd known about self-inflating mattresses at the time.
    Winter camping is wonderful! It needs a bit of thinking about but certainly isn't something to be frightened of. Go on give it go - you know you want to and remember we're not just any campers we're 'Dandy' campers.
    Steve
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

I think we may have found a Slogan for our meets banner, thanks to Steve

We are not just any Campers we are Dandy Campers

This could be put on a banner along with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

Would you camp in the winter 2161515090 steve is now the slogan master haha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 8:09 am