Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Shelf over bed

joules29

Shelf over bed  Empty Shelf over bed

Post by joules29 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

Hi,

I have seen on some dandy photos, a shelf that is fixed to the inside wood panel by the fixed bed..

It looks like a hanging shelf, that folds up when the dandy is folded away (if you know what I mean). Has anyone else seen / got one of these.

Thanks
    navver

Shelf over bed  Empty Re: Shelf over bed

Post by navver Sun 01 Jun 2014, 11:45 pm

Not seen that. Got one of these over the kitchen

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

If what you're looking for is as per navvers picture the plans are available.
    Try going to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you will have to ask to join It was started by some of the members of the owners club. Not very good for chat or instant responses it has an excellent set of files covering information on many items.
    joules29

Shelf over bed  Empty Shelf by bed

Post by joules29 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

Hi, no, its on the bed boards.

Hope this works.. Have a look at pictures

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:35 pm

Looks a similar set up to the parcel shelf in the back of our car  Shelf over bed  2024858757  it's the best idea I have at the moment but perhaps a hinged shelf that folds up against the dandy wall and then drops down with straps supporting it.
    joules29

Post by joules29 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:52 pm

Razz Razz 

Looks handy though.. Love anything that creates more storage  Very Happy 

navver

Post by navver Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:07 am

It looks like someone has made it as a DIY add on. Very neat though and will fold away automatically as the bed board is folded down.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:40 pm

You can mouse over the area to see the stiffening plate and hinge. I've also see sections of twinlock or more usually T slot shelving used with a stiffening plate on the back. More usually T slot as it wont take vast weight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The downside to using T slot is that the shelves have to be wedged to make then level from front to back. I think the hinge shown has been crafted to not quite fully open.

Obviously their own man the builder of that shelf made the only above window shelf I've seen with below shelf supports.
    Having his own (or one's own) independent thought is a great thing but there is little point in reinventing the wheel.

These threads are good for shelves one shows the plans by the late S McVicar for his version of the over window shelf and the other debates a shelf that we seem to have lost the picture of. However the second page shows other possible shelf designs. I think both the chain supported (or cord) shelf and the twin slot device could both be strung from U brackets a la Mr McVicar.  

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:11 pm

I reckon the easiest way to do it would be to use a couple of hinges on the bottom of the shelf and a piece of string/wire on each side to hold it up. I would also use a small piece of Velcro on each side of the shelf to fold it away and made sure it stayed folded away for putting the beds away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 12:25 pm