Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Condensation in a dandy folding camper

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Condensation in a dandy folding camper Empty Condensation in a dandy folding camper

Post by mike Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

May as well get this out in the open as its talked about in whispers most of the time,yes in certain circumstances you will get condensation in a dandy,you dont get any thing for nothing in this world we have one of if not the most durable and weather proof campers in the world.
    If you are lucky enough to have a fully insulated dandy then condensation should not be a problem,from personnel experience the only time i had condensation in my fully insulated 1988 delta was when i first used it during cold weather,i foolishly listened to advice about no heater and have ventilation,well we woke to running walls and dripping roof,i was one unhappy camper and had endured a cold night,we talked about what to do the next night and decided if we where going to get condensation any way we would close the window and leave the electric heater on all night and at least be warm,the next morning was a real surprise no condensation any where except the single skin windows at the front and the glass kitchen window.From that day on for two years of use including -8 c we kept it closed up at night and heater on in cold weather with no condensation problem.

The other type of dandy is the insulated roof and none insulated walls,this one is still a learning curve for me but my experience up to know is as follows.
    We have only used it in lets say cold nights early in the year not middle of the winter type nights,the first night we decided to try things the other way round so we left the heater on all night and kept nice and warm,to our surprise again we had no condensation on the roof, presumably because the heat from the heater would rise keeping the inside of the roof warm,then our moist warm breath would not have a cold surface to condense on,we rated this as a part success,the bed end walls where another story though they did have slight condensation on them,this we put down to the fact they where single skin and although the heater kept them above the outside wall temperature, it was still cooler so the warm moist air could condense on them.The oldest way to deal with this is to use a ply board at each end of the bed so the bedding is kept of the wet pvc,this sort of works because it keeps the bedding dry,i intend to go down the route of insulation,which in its easiest form is just a insulated barrier covering the bed end walls,this could be table protector fixed to the batwing tops and down each side,i have a guy locally that can sew a second layer of pvc inside on the bed end walls with a layer of foam in the middle and up to know that is looking like the way i will go,ime not too concerned about the stitching as these threads swell when they get wet to seal the pin holes plus the top and back will be under the roof overlap,the bottom will be below bed level,just leaving the front upright stitching exposed.
    There is one more alternative a factory insulation job but that's. in the £500-£600 price range where as the one i am looking at is about £130.

I will leave this thread open so others can add problems and cures,remember its not just dandys that get condensation if the conditions are right, i have had it inside my caravan and awning,synthetic tent,and even inside a canvass tent,though in that you dont see it as condensation as it soaks in and you just have wet canvass.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 1:49 am