Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
mike
6 posters

Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one Empty Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one

Post by mike Sun 09 Oct 2011, 5:46 am

For many of us second hand dandys would be our choice from necessity,or from a desire to have some thing we can maintain with basic tools,the question posed is if by some fluke new dandy campers became available again would you buy one.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one Empty Re: Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one

Post by Helen Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:00 am

No, I think the price of a new one would be too high. The old ones have stood the test of time and ours gives us the freedom to get away and is very comfortable. The simplicity means that they can be repaired to a good standard ................ why spend a lot of money on something that doe's the same thing just because the cupboard doors and colour of the unit may be a bit prettier Shocked

Even if we wanted a bigger one in time and they made new ones we would still go for second hand.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one Empty Re: Dandy folding camper would you buy a new one

Post by mike Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

I may consider it if the money and colour where there

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry the photo shop playing isnt very good but i would like one in this type of colour.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:30 pm

You've got a good colour match there.

If money was no object, we probably wouldn't buy a new one because it wouldn't be the right era for the car.

But if they made one exactly the same as the were, then it could be a consideration, but we would know it's a replica.

My comment is all very hypothetical.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

mike wrote:For many of us second hand dandys would be our choice from necessity,or from a desire to have some thing we can maintain with basic tools,the question posed is if by some fluke new dandy campers became available again would you buy one.

Economic necessity in my case.
    Though if new immediate maintenance should not be required, the maintenance issues should be the same in the long run. Or are we proposing wonderful new advanced features in this new Dandy?
    What I would buy is not of any consequence to the sales outlook of a new Dandy.
    I propose that as all Dandy owners have relatively aged outfits we're not necessarily the bright, new, shiny thing needing purchasers of new kit.
    While joked or japed that the longevity of Dandys hurt their sales I would think that the shiny needing populous could still be suitably impressed by a product with a track record of longevity. Though I'm not in the market for a Destiny I would have thought that a slightly uprated one would be a real seller.
    Easier to tow and hand manoeuvre than a caravan, just as much space (if not more than many) and how many caravans will be functional in 25 let alone 40 years.
    Caravaning isn't exactly a young persons game so if retiring or close too I would have thought that the reassurance that your home from home wont require renewing is reassuring.
    Must also enquire what precisely happens at 70 to the weight allowances for towing for those with pre 1997 licenses. Quite a few more spacious caravans would put your Maximum Permitted Train Weight above 3.5 Tonne. Economic considerations also come into play with the choice of possible tow vehicles.
    Now if someone wants to devise a blend between the PVC material and a wind up hard roof I might be buying a second hand one. I reckon in about 15 years.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

the basic principle is pretty good and has stood the test of time but i would want a completely updated design wider beds galvanised chassis plywood floors,bigger wheels,higher hitch height,more comfortable sofa's and lighter awnings.
    A new Dandy would need to incorporate some of the above to make it desirable to entice people to them over Pennine's or Caravans.The last Designers with awnings and propex etc were about £10k 3years ago so in todays money probably to build a more modern version the price would be £12k + which for something that will out last most caravans is reasonable but is still a whole lot of money for people looking at short term ownership when compared to a new small caravan.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

If new ones were available and money was no object, we still wouldn't buy one.
    Things built nowadays are not built to last, companys want the repeat business. We really enjoyed rebuilding ours and would seriously consider building a custom one from scratch ourselves. We would just have to find somewhere to get the insulated roof, and sides made. Smile
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm

if i had loads of money and Dandy's were still being produced i would have to say my money would instead go on a large Eriba or a small Airstream they are probably the only caravans that will out live a Dandy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 7:09 pm