Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Transport cover

Cazz
    Cazz

Transport cover Empty Transport cover

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:49 pm

We think our transport cover is on it's last legs, well it is over 40 years old. So in preperation for when it's finally had it, I'm wanting to price up a new one, where is a good value place to get a new one please? Hopefully it can hang on for a year or two, but.......

Thanks in advance. Very Happy
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Transport cover Empty Re: Transport cover

Post by Nick Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

i know some one who bought a cover from these [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and they were happy with it,i believe they know all the different dandy sizes as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:33 pm

and these are the prices [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:58 pm

Perfect, thank you Nick.

We'll patch our old one up with duck tape for now and see how it goes, a green cover may well be on our Christmas list. Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

It is worth paying for someone who knows the correct measurements, I measured mine all wrong Embarassed and although a bit cheaper than the ones from Jersey I ended up having to alter it by hand and it also scratched the side of my Dandy as the eyelets should have been sandwiched between pvc and they weren't so in transit when you get slight movement it did scratch. Lesson learned now though and will pay that bit extra, we have now rectified ours and its fine but quite a bit of messing about had to be done. Rolling Eyes
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm

Thanks for that tip Helen, I had read somewhere about some incorrect measuring around the legs, was that yours?

I was considering having a go at making one myself, by the time I faff, fiddle and buy the materials it would proberly work out more expensive and not look as good. Rolling Eyes
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:15 pm

Yes that was mine Cazz pale

You could make a couple with this, the eyelets are fairly cheap and I do know you can sew through it with an upholstery needle and some very strong thread. I had to do two corners of mine as it was far too wide. Embarassed

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

Oooops, that's slightly embarrassing. Embarassed

I'm not sure if my cross stitch sewing skills will stretch to that, lol. Also the joins won't be welded and therefore not waterproof, I doubt I could guarantee it for 2 years. Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

I stuck tenacious tape over the stitching from the inside and that has solved the issue of it being waterproof, I then also applied reinforcement to the inside with some of the excess that I had to cut off, fixing in place with seam sealant that is also waterproof and very flexible. So the corners are stronger too Very Happy
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

i would just buy a custom made cover,you could make one but its going to cost upwards of £50 for the PVC eyelets and bungee,i think a ready made cover for your trailer will only be about £80. Smile
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm

Tenacious tape, a very clever idea. I'll repair ours with what ever is in the shed for now, mmmmmmm, paint, car shampoo, grout or even axle stands, I reckon a bit of duck tape is the best of my available options, lol.

I will buy a cover in the future when needs must, I now know where I'm looking and how much they cost. Thank you. Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 7:21 am

I repaired our old one with Duck tape ( something had nibbled a large hole in it before we bought it) and it did last for a while but the edges continuously started to peel up so we had to keep replacing it, Vicki gave a very good tip recently about rounding off the edges of tape to stop this happening. Transport cover 3498837457 Tenacious tape is fantastic and I also took the old Dandy logo off our old cover and added it to the new one using this stuff ............. several years later it is still there and looks great as the tape is practically invisible. Yes it was annoying that we measured it wrong and we should have just measured the other cover Doh! but we rescued it in the end and at least knew immediately that it was our fault and where we had gone wrong now had we compained .............. that would have been embarrassing Transport cover 3462454224
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:16 am

Imagine if you had complained, that would have been embarrassing.

Rounding the edges is a good idea, great tip. Duck tape does tend to melt in the sun and leave a right sticky mess.

Right here's my plan, I need to check how waterproof our cover is before we spend on it, if it is shockingly bad i'll bodge it with duck tape, if it not too bad, i'll treat to some of that magic tape. It does look rough though, with a few holes here and there.

I'll report back when i've done some scientific testing. Transport cover 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:55 am

If your watering can or hose pipe tests work Suspect and if it is waterproof remember that the cover is only seen in transit......... I stuck some vynil stickers on mine to make it look better. It looked just as rough though so when we arrived at a site we got it off as fast as possible and hid it lol!
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:48 am

Watering can? No jug, lol. We've only got a small bit of front garden and no back garden so have no need for such things. Very Happy

Perhaps I should clean it, that will test it, I hope I don't wash it away. It already has a piece of plastic sheeting under the cover. Shocked

I guess it having a scruffy cover doesn't the attract the attention of theives. It just looks like a scruffy old trailer Transport cover 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

We thought ours was beyond cleaning but with a bit of scrubbing it did come up very well and if it wasn't for the large nibbled hole we would have kept it.
    Keith
    Keith

Post by Keith Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

The previous owner of my 6 had the cover made by these people;

Might be worth just asking for a quote.
    John
    John

Transport cover Empty cover

Post by John Thu 28 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

Got mine from the guy in Jersey, just perfect, no hassle, recommend them
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the links everyone. The ebay user name of 'smart*arse' doesn't inspire confidence, I wonder if they moved into trailer covers after they opened the account.

The verdict on ours, today I've managed to srub tons of algae and general dirt from it. It does look better than it did, but now I can see more thin bits and blemishes. I then removed the cover and the polythene sheet had many damp patches on it as expected. So I had a quick count up of holes and found there were 35 to 40!!! I guess it's not bad for 40 years old.

I will be ordering a new cover as soon as the bank account agrees, lol. For now we have a waterproof sheet to put over it when it's not in use.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:35 pm

I did also check his feedback and that appears to be good but if you read how rude he is when he gets a negative or neutral that really should put you off, most of the stuff he sells has nothing to do with trailers.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

I never looked the feedback, I will now though. Some people responses to negative or neutral feedback is definately off putting.

I think we will go with the one from Jersey when we are ready. How much of that tape will I need for 40 odd holes? Transport cover 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

Depends on the size of the holes but I think it may be cheaper to buy a new cover lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:24 pm