Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Eilis
vickoir
Ali
mike
Cazz
9 posters

Sun/rain canopy.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 Empty Re: Sun/rain canopy.

Post by Helen Thu 25 Aug 2011, 8:23 am

That's cool, protects the doorway and gives protection from the sun without being heavy. Very neat and people can now see how it's done, for a full width one I would use three Storm poles so any rain will run off, you can get lot's of colours of rip stop nylon to suit any dandy so your pictures will help people looking for a sun canopy to suit their Dandy. Looking forward to seeing the larger version now but the one you have made is neat and looks good, I think I will make one for when we go away just for two night's, so much easier than putting up a full frame for our Dandy canopy and if we have to pack away wet it would be easy to throw over the washing line to dry out.

Well done and thank's for posting the pictures. Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 2170595768

Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Thu 25 Aug 2011, 7:00 pm

Thanks Helen - would never have done it without your encouragement though! It is very light and folds up under the seat for transport. It is put up and tied on inside in less than 5 mins so is really good. I will buy another pole to make a wider one though!

My husband has finally agreed to go away in the Dandy cheers - if I can prove to him it's not as stressful and hard work as our family camping holidays used to be! So now so we are off to forest Fields campsite next weekend and I think he will be suprised at how quickly we'll be having a cup of tea on the site!

We had a 6 berth Cabanon frame tent with steel poles which was big and solid but so heavy! And with 3 kids to pack for and then feed no wonder it was hard work! So glad I found the Dandy experience! Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

I am going to make a small one like the one in your picture, we already have enough spare poles and it really would be handy to have just for a two night stop. I am considering making it from one of the many tents I have as one is light blue and the door would be big enough to do this with and already has the eyelets in. It's not really as bad as it sounds as the particular tent I am going to chop has had a couple of repairs done and hasn't been used for years. Shocked
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Ali wrote:Thanks Helen - would never have done it without your encouragement though! It is very light and folds up under the seat for transport. It is put up and tied on inside in less than 5 mins so is really good. I will buy another pole to make a wider one though!

My husband has finally agreed to go away in the Dandy cheers - if I can prove to him it's not as stressful and hard work as our family camping holidays used to be! So now so we are off to forest Fields campsite next weekend and I think he will be suprised at how quickly we'll be having a cup of tea on the site!

We had a 6 berth Cabanon frame tent with steel poles which was big and solid but so heavy! And with 3 kids to pack for and then feed no wonder it was hard work! So glad I found the Dandy experience! Very Happy

Then you can say a dandy 6 would be just as easy to put up and we would have more space Very Happy
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

Ali wrote:Thanks Helen - would never have done it without your encouragement though! It is very light and folds up under the seat for transport. It is put up and tied on inside in less than 5 mins so is really good. I will buy another pole to make a wider one though!

the dandy will be a piece of cake compared to that, make sure the beer is cold when you buy it as it won't be long after you arrive that you start drinking it lol
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

Dear All

You will need details as it's a sun canopy not an awning but:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The ranger 415 has an erect with of 4148mm so give or take the odd 2mm same width as a designer or discovery.

Kevin.

Give me a PM if you are interested or I'll make it more generally known in a couple of days.
    slipstream
    slipstream

Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 Empty Another variation on a theme

Post by slipstream Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

hi all

we recently won an auction on e-Bay for this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

for the princely sum of £10.51.

The front zips onto the roof, so we can just have a roof, if that's all we need.

We've fitted an awning channel onto the wooden element of the door frame.

On the batwing frame, press studs have been riveted. The awning has the other half fixed to the awning beading.

The pulling of the roof ropes clip the roof to the Dandy just like an original sun canopy or awning

It means that we've a cover when opening the door in rain & wind.

Additionally the windows have a dark blue tint, cutting down on glare from a rising or setting sun.

At 2.4m in length, it's about the same size as the original awning which were available with the 1970's Dandy (orange & green types).

vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm

that looks really good,
    and a very good bargain too cheers
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm

That's the best of all worlds, and what a bargain. Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 2170595768

Do you know the make and model?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:48 pm

Looks fantastic ........... bargain Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 2170595768 Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 184121345
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:25 am

Had a feeling that style would look good on a dandy Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 2170595768
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Fri 07 Oct 2011, 6:59 am

that looks great and more amzingly it's the same dandy as mine as most of the sun canopies etc that i see are on blue and white dandys so it's great to see something that looks good for mine too Smile
    slipstream
    slipstream

Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 Empty Re- make & model of our sun canopy 1/2 awning

Post by slipstream Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:05 am

In reply to request for make & model.

This one is made by DWT Zelte. Web Link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Additionally, it weighs a fraction of the original Dandy awning & takes 5 minutes to erect. A bonus if you arrive late evening with everyone watching you set up!!

As for our Dandy - it's a 1984 model 4/5.

We love the old retro brown & mushroom look, but realise it's not to everyone's taste.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:11 am

slipstream wrote:In reply to request for make & model.

This one is made by DWT Zelte. Web Link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Additionally, it weighs a fraction of the original Dandy awning & takes 5 minutes to erect. A bonus if you arrive late evening with everyone watching you set up!!

As for our Dandy - it's a 1984 model 4/5.

We love the old retro brown & mushroom look, but realise it's not to everyone's taste.

Same colour as my six i didn't realy like it at first but do now.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:30 am

Ours is green, some people don't that. I like the brown range, our car is brown, our campervan interior is two tone brown, our sitting room is beigh, beech and browns.

Thanks for use link. Sun/rain canopy. - Page 2 3498837457
    Coffee1
    Coffee1

Post by Coffee1 Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

Some really good ideas and its nice to see pictures we may get one for when we only use the Dandy (2 nighters) as it will protect the doorway and they are light too.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 02 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

Been sorting the hard drive and came across a few pictures,this dandy was at a owners club rally with what looks like a tent sun canopy,no idea which one though

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 11:03 pm