Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Dont think it was the strut

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dont think it was the strut Empty Dont think it was the strut

Post by mike Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

In the first picture you will see the kink in the side wall when folded down, this is with out the strut fitted,with the strut it was a lot worse,the aluminium with a crack in it is only trim.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In the second picture of the two rivets on the left of the strut one was just a rivet head and the other was missing,to the right of the strut you can see two screws originally only the outer one was there,i drilled the hinge and fitted a second screw.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On packing away i noticed there is room for one more rivet which i will do next time,it would appear as if the hinge fixings failed not the strut.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dont think it was the strut Empty Re: Dont think it was the strut

Post by Helen Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

Whatever it was at least you've sorted it out now Dont think it was the strut 2170595768
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

I had been thinking people talk about strut failure but when you think the struts are designed for car tail gates how many times do they go up and down in that situation,if you used your dandy every weekend for a year that would be struts operating 100 times,on a car they could do that in a couple of months or less,whilst obviously struts could fail its probably worth checking all hinge ect fittings associated with a strut as failure here could make it look like the strut failed first causing the damage to hinges or fixings.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 02 Oct 2011, 8:24 pm

mike wrote:I had been thinking people talk about strut failure but when you think the struts are designed for car tail gates how many times do they go up and down in that situation,if you used your dandy every weekend for a year that would be struts operating 100 times,on a car they could do that in a couple of months or less,whilst obviously struts could fail its probably worth checking all hinge ect fittings associated with a strut as failure here could make it look like the strut failed first causing the damage to hinges or fixings.

Mike

Yes the frequency of operation is less but on a car you often have 2 gas struts for a quite light structure.
    I'm not sure of the stresses on a single strut from the six's wall but I'm sure I've seen articles suggesting that larger diameter struts should be used on the beds if replaced or your own fitments are being made.

Kevin.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    mike wrote:I had been thinking people talk about strut failure but when you think the struts are designed for car tail gates how many times do they go up and down in that situation,if you used your dandy every weekend for a year that would be struts operating 100 times,on a car they could do that in a couple of months or less,whilst obviously struts could fail its probably worth checking all hinge ect fittings associated with a strut as failure here could make it look like the strut failed first causing the damage to hinges or fixings.

Mike

Yes the frequency of operation is less but on a car you often have 2 gas struts for a quite light structure.
    I'm not sure of the stresses on a single strut from the six's wall but I'm sure I've seen articles suggesting that larger diameter struts should be used on the beds if replaced or your own fitments are being made.

Kevin.

Yes a consideration, there are two struts for each wall and of course it is heavier than a tail gate,just didn't want people to jump to the conclusion that its there strut that's gone and caused the damage when it could be the other way round.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 6:26 pm