Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Tow Itch
Helen
Claire
7 posters

New to dandy campers

Claire

New to dandy campers Empty New to dandy campers

Post by Claire Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:39 am

Hi
    Im thinking of buying a dandy destiny or delta its about a 1999 model only problem is that it doesnt come with
    An awning.

I know definatly we will need one.

What are my options?
    Is there a universal one i can use?

Can u get a match or will i have to settle for a awning that doesnt match

Thanks claire
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

New to dandy campers Empty Re: New to dandy campers

Post by Helen Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

They do come up for sale but not very often. Have you looked at the Awning Idea's section

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:13 am

New to dandy campers 1217042266

Welcome to the forum Claire, if you need any help at all just post your questions.
    Claire

New to dandy campers Empty New to dandy

Post by Claire Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

I have looked but im not very keen on it not matching

I cant decide whether to just buy it and think about awning later

Or wait to see if one comes up with an awning

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

Sounds as though you have the co-ordinating bug like most of us lady's with Dandy's. cheers Awnings do come up for sale but they are as rare as hens teeth and you could be waiting for ever for one that suits yours, if I were you I would probably wait for one with a Dandy awning.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

Claire wrote:Hi
    Im thinking of buying a dandy destiny or delta its about a 1999 model only problem is that it doesnt come with
    An awning.

I know definatly we will need one.

What are my options?
    Is there a universal one i can use?

Can u get a match or will i have to settle for a awning that doesnt match

Thanks claire

Hello Claire

If you have read the thread on alternative awnings you will probably realise that Helen holds most of the accumulated knowledge.
    So I'll approach things from a different tack.
    Hi
    An awning.
    Right so your thinking of buying a Dandy and you don't know whether it's a Destiny or a Delta but the only problem is it doesn't have an awning?
    Have you physically been in this Dandy so know it's size and are comfortable with it, but don't know which Dandy it is?
    Do you know that all Dandies are not equal and that they vary in being winterised (side walls as roof) and whether they have a heater fitted? Also the electrical spec varies as it's all retro fitted.
    As you appeared to initially have not read the piece on awnings, have you read the piece on what to look for in a used Dandy?
    1999? Wasn't that the odd year when they were white? What makes you think it's from 1999?
    Now I don't want to make things appear complicated, (And I can tend to do that) there may be perfectly good reasons why your looking at this particular Dandy, but the more you tell us about your requirements and, or why your looking at this particular Dandy the more we can help.

Kevin.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

If you look at this it may help you to identify the Dandy as there is a world of difference between a Destiny and a Delta, if it was a Destiny would you still need an awning as it is a lot more spacious than a Delta.
    Just click on the red writing. Very Happy
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You could also copy and paste the link so we could take a look and give you some info, it's surprising how much we can tell from a picture.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

I had an awning with my first one but then bought a larger dandy without one,big mistake although i was lucky i got one to match it,give it serious though before you buy without.

mike
    Claire

Post by Claire Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

The reason why i put dandy destiny/delta is because i was looking a both of these. they were both up for sale so i was deciding which one to go for and both dont have awnings.

i much prefer the destiny cause of the size of it.

im going to wait till one comes up with an awning

ive been looking at folding campers for a while now and by reading into dandys they seem to be the best only problem is there isnt many for sale.

ive got a little boy so didnt want a tent and caravans to big to store this seemed like best option

claire
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

Hi Claire, New to dandy campers 1217042266 to the forum. I'm sure you will find your perfect Dandy complete with awning, they seem to turn up just when you don't expect them to.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:54 pm

Hello Claire

Right we get some background.
    If it's just you and the junr or even you,junior and significant (insignificant) other the larger rear entry (o'er missus) Dandys (Designer/Discovery) should be adequate. Possibly even the Delta.
    See various arguments for and against smaller Dandy and awning as against larger Dandy, larger vehicle for towing bit more work putting up. Tartanterrors being considering this recently.
    As you said the Destiny didn't have an awning at least you weren't looking at the one in Bournemouth (Long running saga, see "For Sale" section) that had an alternative awning.
    What sort of age or budget are you looking at?
    If you have just found us, it's a bit of reading but try and read the "What To Look For" and as much tech stuff as you can. If you can spare the time try to look at a couple you don't want to buy. You will then see more when you get to the one you think you want.
    Claire

Post by Claire Thu 27 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

Its me my husband and my son i do like the designer cause its got the table and two chairs the only problem i thought was we may not all get round the table to eat

Ill have a good read thank u

I was looking at the bournemouth one it was actually located in blackpool dont really want to spend more than £2500 on our first one

Thanks claire
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:06 am

Hi Claire,

we have a designer and although there are only two seats we have had four sat at our table playing cards, we simply turned the table lengthways and then used two cheap small seats too. I am not of small build and although the person sitting next to the cooker (me) had to sit down before the table was turned it was fine and four adults sat playing cards and having a drink for hours each evening ............ that was a lovely holiday even though it rained constantly Laughing

You could use camping stools but we found that the ordinary fold in half cheap and colourful chairs they sell everywhere did the job well.
    Claire

Post by Claire Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

im going to go for the designer if one comes up

my mom and dad have a motorhome and we are going to france next year so want to get one soon

x
    Claire

Post by Claire Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

hi

just a quick question

can you tip the dandys up for easy storage

thanks claire
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

I know that there are Dandy side storage contraptions but don't have any experience of them and to be honest with all the stuff I keep in the Dandy I wouldn't really want to lol!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 27 Oct 2011, 2:29 pm

Claire wrote:hi

just a quick question

can you tip the dandys up for easy storage

thanks claire

Like Helen said things inside could be a problem and to be honest i see it as a very difficult thing to do.

mike
    beverley1232010
    beverley1232010

Post by beverley1232010 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

I believe you can still get a Dandy awning from Riva Dandy, when i have rang them previously they say they do sometimes come up. Defo worth a phone call any way.

Bev
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:32 pm

They do but it is rare, I gave Ian our phone number in March and he said that when one came up he would ring ........ still waiting but did buy one elsewhere in May at a high price.
    beverley1232010
    beverley1232010

Post by beverley1232010 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:35 pm

Ian did tell me that they dont come up often Helen, but thought it might be worth a try.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:46 pm

It is worth a try and you may get lucky but people seem to have been selling them separately on ebay or preloved, if this trend continues it may prove easier to find one.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Thu 27 Oct 2011, 8:08 pm

i wonder why riva don't make them, i mean it must be reasonable to make them and they'd know the dimensions also they could make a packet making alternative lighter awnings for all the dandys too Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:51 am

Eilis wrote:i wonder why riva don't make them, i mean it must be reasonable to make them and they'd know the dimensions also they could make a packet making alternative lighter awnings for all the dandys too Smile

As far as I (think I) understand the lightweight awnings that Dandy sold were not produced by them, they were bought in and became unavailable. Through insufficient demand for that producer???
    I was ruminating on the subject of awnings last weekend. I'll post that on the alternative awnings thread as it's going too far off topic, but what I will ask here is, does anyone have experience of the lightweight awning that Dandy sold?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:28 am

They were made by a company in France and they did stop producing them due to lack of demand. Although I haven't got any experience using one myself I know that they were zipped onto the Dandy and not tucked under the roof line.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 9:40 am