Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Cazz
Nick
mike
7 posters

Insulation complete (nearly)

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Insulation complete (nearly) Empty Insulation complete (nearly)

Post by mike Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

I say nearly because the way i bought the table topper it was folded and sealed in a poly bag,it now has creases in it which i know from the first one will only come out after getting very warm a few times.This has caused billowing which i feel sure i can get rid of when the material is flat,some ebay sellers sell it off the roll but the ones i looked at stated they fold it for posting,it would be better rolled.
    The tabs where made with a fold over at one end this was then divided into two pockets with a row of stitching and a magnet sewn in each pocket,the row of white stitching is a marker for where to fix it on the insulation.The stitching is not level because i needed two and a half inches of tab above the insulation which slants to match the batwing,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you dont mind velcro and studs on the dandy it could be fixed all round but ime trying not to make fixing and changes,it goes below the beds and wraps under with the side pvc so any condensation if it does form on the pvc can not get inside the dandy.

mike

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Insulation complete (nearly) Empty Re: Insulation complete (nearly)

Post by Nick Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:32 am

looks good Mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 21 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

Looks good, hopefully you can feel the difference at Christmas, if there isn't that heat wave you mentioned, lol.

The magnets are a good idea, they are really strong. I've bought some for the camper cab curtains, I wasn't drilled the A post Shocked , We also use them in/on the awning to keep the rubbish bag higher than the dogs nose. They are also good for hanging up tea towels etc to dry. Cool
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Dec 2011, 6:06 am

Well after the Christmas camp and the fact i fitted my own insulation wrong lol! i can report it works,we had temperatures up to just short of 70 Fahrenheit at times inside and any condensation formed behind the insulation and it was practically dry when we packed away. We had two uninsulated dandy's there and they reported little or no condensation but that doesn't happen every time with uninsulated dandy's in the winter.
    Its probably the way we like to camp in the winter windows and door closed and heater turned up Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:42 am

Repost from the other insulation thread

Thought i would add my final conclusion about this on this thread as it has a fair bit of mixed talk on insulation,the conclusion after fitting it a second time is i would never be able to get it perfect its a lot better than i had it at Christmas and it works so when you consider the £600 price difference between mine and the real macoy at riva its a bargain and i have managed to do it with no special tools or skills which was a main aim.
    Somewhere maybe on this thread Kevin was talking about a curtain type insulation i seam to remember and this is what i have, although it is close to the pvc,when erecting today the pvc got very hot in the sun but the insulation remained cool,so my own conclusion is cheap,effective,brightens the interior but could be neater

I should have made it slightly wider so it would go round the end of the bed end walls to be able to keep it flatter but we had -3 last night and a 1600w convector heater on all night with no condensation on the interior,yes we have it between the pvc and the insulation but its no problem there.
    Before next winter i will make some panels of the same stuff to go over the three large glass windows at night.
    Guzzimik

Insulation complete (nearly) Empty Removable insulation

Post by Guzzimik Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:37 pm

Hi I have made, or rather the wife has! six removable panels one for each side and one on each end. We did this using wadding which we covered. These are held in place using press studs. We have found that by using a thinner wadding on the end panels that they can be left in place when de-camping. In transit the side panels are folded and placed on top of the trailer, they are also really light.
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:24 pm

mike wrote:I say nearly because the way i bought the table topper it was folded and sealed in a poly bag,it now has creases in it which i know from the first one will only come out after getting very warm a few times.This has caused billowing which i feel sure i can get rid of when the material is flat,some ebay sellers sell it off the roll but the ones i looked at stated they fold it for posting,it would be better rolled.
    The tabs where made with a fold over at one end this was then divided into two pockets with a row of stitching and a magnet sewn in each pocket,the row of white stitching is a marker for where to fix it on the insulation.The stitching is not level because i needed two and a half inches of tab above the insulation which slants to match the batwing,

If you dont mind velcro and studs on the dandy it could be fixed all round but ime trying not to make fixing and changes,it goes below the beds and wraps under with the side pvc so any condensation if it does form on the pvc can not get inside the dandy.

mike

Hi mike.
    I'm struggling to work out how they fit to the poles.
    Sorry What a Face
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:33 pm

Extra strong magnets hold them to the bars Kimmie so no drilling required Very Happy
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:41 pm

Helen wrote:Extra strong magnets hold them to the bars Kimmie so no drilling required Very Happy

Ok. How are the magnets attached to the liners? I'm determined to get a night out in this new-to-get-this-Sunday-dandy!!
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:42 pm

And where is one to purchase the said magnets?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 16 Dec 2012, 8:43 pm

Fleabay Kim, they're called neodymium magnets and come in several sizes. The bigger they are the stronger they are and they are very very stong, If using around children and they're not hidden make sure they know not to touch as when they snap together they can seriously pinch. Smile

If you look at the pictures again Mike has some black tabs (pockets) that house the magnets
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

Helen wrote:Fleabay Kim, they're called neodymium magnets and come in several sizes. The bigger they are the stronger they are and they are very very stong, If using around children and they're not hidden make sure they know not to touch as when they snap together they can seriously pinch. Smile

If you look at the pictures again Mike has some black tabs (pockets) that house the magnets

Aha! That's what the black strappy things are for!!! I'm on a mission now :-)
    Thanks for the explanation Helen cheers santa
    Kimmie xx
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:04 pm

just how unpleasant swallowing a magnet can get.

Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Mon 17 Dec 2012, 2:11 am

Tow Itch wrote: just how unpleasant swallowing a magnet can get.

Ewwwww! No
    I'll make sure Toby n Ben don't find them Insulation complete (nearly) 2215087486
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 17 Dec 2012, 1:40 pm

The pocket at the top of the tab that holds the magnets needs to be divided into two or both the magnets slide together and become one Very Happy
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

mike wrote:The pocket at the top of the tab that holds the magnets needs to be divided into two or both the magnets slide together and become one Very Happy

Getting to sound technical now. Might turn up on your doorstep mike rendeer
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Kimmie wrote:
    mike wrote:The pocket at the top of the tab that holds the magnets needs to be divided into two or both the magnets slide together and become one Very Happy

May be a problem there Nancy has banned me from entertaining strange women lol! are you strange Insulation complete (nearly) 1705467399
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

mike wrote:
    Kimmie wrote:

May be a problem there Nancy has banned me from entertaining strange women lol! are you strange Insulation complete (nearly) 1705467399

lol! hang on I'll phone a friend........ Yep very strange Insulation complete (nearly) 2702329197
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 19 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Also it is worth mentioning to others, that don't use these magnets if you have a pacemaker. affraid
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Thu 20 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

Roughly how many metres will I need to insulate a 5?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 20 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Kimmie wrote:Roughly how many metres will I need to insulate a 5?

The same as a six lol! i think but i cant find my post with it in,i should have made it a little wider so it tucked behind the bed back board,it needs to have enough drop to go below the edge of the bed,i made mine a bit too deep and then trimmed it from out side to match the pvc bottom thus ensuring any condensation would never touch the bedding.
    Dunholm mills sell it off the roll but the last time i looked the thickness had reduced,you really need to measure to be sure.

mike
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 20 Dec 2012, 5:25 pm

The more i think about it they wont be the same size,whilst the beds are probably the same width the rest of the dimensions will vary,what are you going to do about the front windows,insulate over or cut them out of the insulation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 4:19 pm