Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
Eilis
Lol and Steve
Tow Itch
Nick
Helen
Cazz
mike
11 posters

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

Cazz wrote:Were more made with or without insulation? And what year was it available from? Now there's some questions. Im also assuming it shouldn't be too hard to insulate the bed bases and sides.

I've seen Kevin's photo on the Goodwood thread, it looks lovely. Very Happy

In the early production i think more where made without insulation,as for under the bed boards and the end board my delta had polystyrene on the end board added by the previous owner and nothing on the bed board,the six has nothing at the moment but i intend to use something like this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Cazz
    Cazz

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

That's the same stuff we've insulated the campers roof with, it works brilliant. We've used the one which is silver on both sides.

It's so good infact that the cupboard we didn't insulate makes an excellent fridge over night. On one very cold frozen day, there was ice in the cupboard and not in the living area. Shocked

I wonder if it's possible to insulate the walls with it as well, have them removable for easy folding. The will need covering so it doesn't look like a space ship, Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas 1705467399

Should a new thread be started for insulation?

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

Cazz wrote:That's the same stuff we've insulated the campers roof with, it works brilliant. We've used the one which is silver on both sides.

It's so good infact that the cupboard we didn't insulate makes an excellent fridge over night. On one very cold frozen day, there was ice in the cupboard and not in the living area. Shocked

I wonder if it's possible to insulate the walls with it as well, have them removable for easy folding. The will need covering so it doesn't look like a space ship, Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas 1705467399

Should a new thread be started for insulation?

Thats it had it all set in my mind about wall insulation then you go and do this, Very Happy it would be light enough to velcro in place,covering it shouldn't be a problem,cheap, equivalent to 55mm polystyrene, my head hurts.

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to make your head hurt.

A draw back on the silver, is the foil could come off over time with constant folding, but then I guess the fold lines could be cut and rejoined with some sort of hard wearing tape.

Any experience with space blankets, like the runners use at the end of a race. They won't be as warm as the bubble/foil stuff though. scratch
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

Cazz wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to make your head hurt.

A draw back on the silver, is the foil could come off over time with constant folding, but then I guess the fold lines could be cut and rejoined with some sort of hard wearing tape.

Any experience with space blankets, like the runners use at the end of a race. They won't be as warm as the bubble/foil stuff though. scratch

You would probably be able to roll it and not fold so avoid damage.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

The best aid to diy insulation would be a guaranteed pvc to pvc adhesive,you can buy leatherette/pvc type products with a foam layer on the back,if a panel full size for the bed wall was cut and one inch of foam scraped of all the way round it could be stuck on.

As you can see i have been thinking around this for a while Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

I was considering folding the insulation and storing it between the beds, ark at me, I've not even got one yet.

Another though to add into your mix is fleece blankets, when our dog was sleeping in our draughty cab on the swivel round seat, he was grumbling about the cold, so we hung a fleece blanket over the back of the seat and hooked it up at the sides and top, so he like had a fleece kennel, well it got really warm in their and he slept all night.

They are also available in many colours, a bit like wall paper. Laughing

I like your idea of making it more pernament, but I personally wouldn't want to stick anything to original walls, but then I guess it depends on their condition.

Go on, what else have you thought of during the thought process? Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

Just having a cuppa then i will start a diy insulation chat and idea thread,we can have all the ideas and options together.

mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas Empty Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

Good idea and fab, and the cuppa. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Right cazz we now have our own thread perhaps we should allow others in Very Happy i have considered many ways one is the table protector but not in brown,i thought it would be an opportunity to change the dark sides to white,also thought about insulation stuck to ply which would transport on the beds,these could also be painted white,on reflection i think the fleece blankets may get too wet.

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

Interesting thought processes, would the table protector offer enough insulation? I've not actually seen one in the flesh. Perhaps the fleece blankets are better off on the bed, cosy but sweaty due to lack of breathability. I like the idea of sticking it too PLY, as long as it's not too bulky and pain to fit.

We use these in the camper, they fold easily, are very robust and make a huge difference. They used to sell a sheet so you could make your own, I can't see it listed anymore. Not cheap though.

Yes, what is everyone elses thoughts or ideas? Very Happy

Last edited by cazz on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot what I was thinking.)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:25 pm

Would you be able to get some pvc or the leatherette with foam backing, they sell white on ebay and cut it to shape riveting it to brackets that will hang over the batwing when in use and tuck it in at the bottom so you can take it off and fold it. Or is this just another of my blue peter idea's Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas 2829330259 Warm air would get trapped in the gap and sort of insulate it. Neutral
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:28 pm

cazz wrote:Interesting thought processes, would the table protector offer enough insulation? I've not actually seen one in the flesh. Perhaps the fleece blankets are better off on the bed, cosy but sweaty due to lack of breathability. I like the idea of sticking it too PLY, as long as it's not too bulky and pain to fit.

We use these in the camper, they fold easily, are very robust and make a huge difference. They used to sell a sheet so you could make your own, I can't see it listed anymore. Not cheap though.

I have seen that stuff for sale on a make your own basis if i can find it i will post a link,we used it on our camper and it worked in the sense we kept warm but the windows where running with condensation in the morning,i thought the external ones may be better but never got to try any.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

Sorry for the two part answer cazz got called away,i would think the table protector would work,i have been told it does but Question if you didn't mind coloured its fairly cheap on ebay,but if one side is not sealed it may soak moisture up and grow mould so i cant recommend it just throw it in as an idea.

mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

helen wrote:Would you be able to get some pvc or the leatherette with foam backing, they sell white on ebay and cut it to shape riveting it to brackets that will hang over the batwing when in use and tuck it in at the bottom so you can take it off and fold it. Or is this just another of my blue peter idea's Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas 2829330259 Warm air would get trapped in the gap and sort of insulate it. Neutral

Another thought, but would it get wet as mentioned above, where do you use the sticky back plastic? lol Smile

Can you confirm which part the batwing is please.

Going back to a previous post regarding the use of PLY, what about using correx instead, it's lighter and doesn't matter if it gets wet. scratch

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

The batwing is the pvc wall ie:- front pvc sides of front and pvc sides of the rear , they fold in when packed.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

cazz wrote:
    helen wrote:Would you be able to get some pvc or the leatherette with foam backing, they sell white on ebay and cut it to shape riveting it to brackets that will hang over the batwing when in use and tuck it in at the bottom so you can take it off and fold it. Or is this just another of my blue peter idea's Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas 2829330259 Warm air would get trapped in the gap and sort of insulate it. Neutral

Another thought, but would it get wet as mentioned above, where do you use the sticky back plastic? lol Smile

Can you confirm which part the batwing is please.

Going back to a previous post regarding the use of PLY, what about using correx instead, it's lighter and doesn't matter if it gets wet. scratch

That would give you an air gap so should work but i have decided on flexible if nothing else lol!
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

helen wrote:The batwing is the pvc wall ie:- front pvc sides of front and pvc sides of the rear , they fold in when packed.

I wondered if that was the case, many thanks for confirming. Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

helen wrote:

That would give you an air gap so should work but i have decided on flexible if nothing else lol!

I'm inclined to go flexible as well, but perhaps I should get a Dandy first.

I know, you lovely people can try out all the ideas first, then report back just in time for me to do ours, assuming we don't find an insulated one. Very Happy lol!
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

cazz wrote:
    helen wrote:

I know, you lovely people can try out all the ideas first, then report back just in time for me to do ours, assuming we don't find an insulated one. Very Happy lol!

haha i think it might be a lot less hassle for you to source a fully insulated dandy,usually these come with gas heating as well.We will all keep our eyes peeled for you,its worth going the extra mile to buy one,we travelled 230miles to view our current one,460miles in one day was a bit extreme,especially as we went back the following week to collect it luckily we didn't have to go so far the 2nd time.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

Dear All

If you were to have any other form of trailer tent or folding camper, it would have a clip on inner tent.
    This performs two functions. It's a decorative aid adding colours and possibly patterns while hiding the poles and other such gubbins. The second function is that though light it is in effect a second tent, lessening draughts and providing air gap insulation. Also the bed areas then form into mini tents that reduce the volume of the sleeping areas so lessening the leaching off of warmth into the main tent.
    Now I'm not going to suggest improving this with super heavy material, but what came to mind was the very thin silvered material used to line several fabrics.
    However at this point I start to have a difficulty describing the product I mean.
    At first I thought it was called Thinsulate, but that's just a clever high insulating air trapping fabric.
    What I'm looking for is silvered heat reflecting fabric, perhaps something like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    If you try heat reflecting fabric in alibaba you will get lots of options, but does one of you know better than me what I'm thinking about, also do you know how effective it is?
    Eureka moment it's like the silvered fabric used for ironing board covers.

Second part of idea: If such a lining were thought to be effective............

I think I'll get your thoughts on the principal before going any further!

Kevin.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

you could make something to hang from the roof bars kind of like a mosquito net but with the silver stuff, but would it be pleasing to look at Neutral personally I would go for attaching something to u shaped brackets to hang over the batwing frame and tuck in at the bottom, this would create an air gap and if you also have privacy curtains when they are pulled closed it would create something similar to an inner tent. Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

Helen

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
    I was looking at an inner tent, as found in most trailer tents but either lined with the silver fabric. Or if suitable fabrics come ready backed to use them.
    By U shaped brackets do you mean the bit on the "Batwings" that the inner and outer poles clip in?
    With inner and outer poles do these not get a bit full?
    Poles themselves or make a different sort of U clip from the fabric to go over the "batwing" ?

Kevin.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Sorry Kevin, I have my dopey head on today, what I meant is attache a couple of U shaped bracket (clips) to go over the metal bar at the top of the batwing to some suitable fabric, just like the ones that you have on the awning poles, they would go over the bar from the inside like the new type dandy shelf ones do. You could then tuck the bottom of the fabric in under the foam bed mattresses or add velcro to the bottom of the fabric and stick on velcro to the inside of the bed frame to keep the fabric in place creating an air gap.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

NickB wrote:
    cazz wrote:
    helen wrote:

haha i think it might be a lot less hassle for you to source a fully insulated dandy,usually these come with gas heating as well.We will all keep our eyes peeled for you,its worth going the extra mile to buy one,we travelled 230miles to view our current one,460miles in one day was a bit extreme,especially as we went back the following week to collect it luckily we didn't have to go so far the 2nd time.

Have to agree here you are in the position to buy insulated especially as your not in a hurry,with my 6 it was offered to me by another member and in the right condition and a good price,but now i have to sort the insulation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 11:17 am