Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
Eilis
Lol and Steve
Tow Itch
Nick
Helen
Cazz
mike
11 posters

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by Helen Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

A very nice man sent me these pictures to post in the hope that it helps out, he has done a very neat job and the other advantage is that there is no damp feeling underneath the mattresses in the mornings that you can sometimes experience.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by mike Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

Think i have sorted an easy way to insulate the bed end pvc will try to explain,it uses the table protector but requires no press studs or velcro fixings.

First cut a piece of protector the exact size of the end wall pvc,with the exception of the drop this needs to be about 4 or 5 in longer,then at the top of it fix a wooden baton that with the thickness of protector brings it out to be as thick as the metal frame at the top.
    On this baton you put two metal hangers like the awning to wall pieces,then the insulation will hang from the top, the bottom is allowed to go below the the bed frame so when the pvc is pulled under the bed board and bungeed into place it will trap the bottom holding it.
    The thing is if its going to be fitted each time you use the dandy it needs to be quick and simple,i will do one wall in the next 2 or 3 weeks ready to try in September then post pics and a report,also Eilis can give a none technical opinion and say if its something she feels she could do herself.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

So if I am correct it sounds very similar to what I was suggesting but using a baton or have I got it all wrong Mike, just interested as Laura's Dandy isn't insulated. I am now picturing a wooden baton with U shaped hooks over the metal batwing frame to hold in place and with suitable material hanging from that and tucked in at the bottom. confused
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

helen wrote:So if I am correct it sounds very similar to what I was suggesting but using a baton or have I got it all wrong Mike, just interested as Laura's Dandy isn't insulated. I am now picturing a wooden baton with U shaped hooks over the metal batwing frame to hold in place and with suitable material hanging from that and tucked in at the bottom. confused

That sounds right Helen,as i say one will be in place by September for you to see in the flesh,I will post pictures first though.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

mike wrote:
    helen wrote:So if I am correct it sounds very similar to what I was suggesting but using a baton or have I got it all wrong Mike, just interested as Laura's Dandy isn't insulated. I am now picturing a wooden baton with U shaped hooks over the metal batwing frame to hold in place and with suitable material hanging from that and tucked in at the bottom. confused

That sounds right Helen,as i say one will be in place by September for you to see in the flesh,I will post pictures first though.

mike

Sounds like a plan to me but your Dandy doesn't have the pvc front windows but I suppose doing it this way you could always roll up the front liner in the mornings If you add a couple of ties.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:48 pm

Complete privacy as well doing it that way.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

I think this will be the way we go with Laura's as it is relatively easy to do and as you can choose to still see through the front windows during the day I think its a great idea, I know people have come up with methods to insulate a 6 before but the problem was always going to be blocking off the front windows in smaller Dandys. This method solves that cheers
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

helen wrote:I think this will be the way we go with Laura's as it is relatively easy to do and as you can choose to still see through the front windows during the day I think its a great idea, I know people have come up with methods to insulate a 6 before but the problem was always going to be blocking off the front windows in smaller Dandys. This method solves that cheers

Also it needs to be quick and simple,i will be using white table protector though as i may as well give the interior a bit of a lift,the other way with velcro and press studs always struck me as a lot of messing about every time.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

I think that Laura would also like a white interior to brighten it up a bit so that's a bonus Very Happy
    Lol and Steve
    Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Hi Mike,

I think the white table protector is just the job and will brighten the inside up really well.

If mine wasn't already insulated the white table protector would be what i would use.

Look forward to seeing your photo's.

lol!
    Lol and Steve
    Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

Hi Helen,

Another thought is:

If Laura always uses her awning then she wouldn't really need to insulate the awning side, just the window side, cos when the awning is on it usually insulates the side it's on as it comes right to the edge on the smaller dandy's, and she wouldn't have any messing about trying to roll up the insulation for extra light either.

lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:02 pm

That's a good point Lorraine but she also has a sun canopy so if she makes a full set (so to speak) she can use them as needed. Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 2667980805
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 27 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

Would just say the white i have seen is thinner than some of the eabay type and i think more like a plastic finish,the thinner doesn't bother me as it is still designed to stop heat getting to your table and the more plastic may be a good thing,if it turns out to work though i will have off cuts i could send to any one who wanted to see a sample.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 30 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Update such as it is,bought the insulation/protector today to do the one wall,very pleased with the material,it can even be hand washed at 40.
    The down side is with the packaging of it,its been folded so i now have to flatten it to get the creases out, will drape it in the bedroom for a week see if the sun can do it if not will try the iron affraid the idiots that have packed it also stuck the detail card on with none setting sticky stuff which warm water with a detergent in wont remove it completely,so hoping what's left will dry now the air can get to it.
    All this means tomorrow wont be the day but we have next Friday off so a long weekend to play if the material sorts its self out.
    The size we needed to do one wall was £13.99 but out of stock, we bought the next one up which was £15.99 so its cheap enough.

mike
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

Just been to b&q to look for fixings and two brackets are over £6 at screwfix its £4 for 10

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Dear Mike

Screwfix and B&Q co-owned.
    Prefer independents, but at last choice try Toolstation.

£3.00 for 10
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 31 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Dear Mike

Screwfix and B&Q co-owned.
    Prefer independents, but at last choice try Toolstation.

£3.00 for 10

Thanks kevin
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

Weather forecast for tomorrow is good,its raining on and off today,so hopefully will get the test wall done at long last.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

Got the test wall done,not happy with quiet a bit of it but it will make a test possible in September,hoping for hot days and cool nights need some condensation :lol:it looks as though suspending it will work but need to find a neater way to do it.

Got your awning poles done Eilis

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:46 am

That looks good Mike, nice and bright too. Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 1710857839
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

mike wrote:Got the test wall done,not happy with quiet a bit of it but it will make a test possible in September,hoping for hot days and cool nights need some condensation :lol:it looks as though suspending it will work but need to find a neater way to do it.

Got your awning poles done Eilis

thanks mike will have a nice clean awning to use them with lol am looking forward to seeing how you do the insulation as i'd like to sort mine out before we camp in winter Smile
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:37 pm

Eilis i have a full workshop and woodworking tools but i want to come up with a way of doing it that any one without these things can do.

mike
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

mike wrote:Eilis i have a full workshop and woodworking tools but i want to come up with a way of doing it that any one without these things can do.

mike

considering i don't have a workshop and woodworking tools that's a good plan lol
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

Mike, I'm watching closely and looking forward to your review on the performance. Also I thinks it's fab how are you are doing it for any one to achieve with basic tools and equipment. Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 3498837457

As you are well aware I will need to do ours for colder camping as we did buy one without insulation, against strong advice, but what a find - a small price to pay. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:16 pm

cazz wrote:Mike, I'm watching closely and looking forward to your review on the performance. Also I thinks it's fab how are you are doing it for any one to achieve with basic tools and equipment. Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 2 3498837457

As you are well aware I will need to do ours for colder camping as we did buy one without insulation, against strong advice, but what a find - a small price to pay. Very Happy

Thanks cazz just need condensation weather in September,you see bet we dont get it Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024, 7:42 pm