Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+8
Esermalda
fred7
Caz1960
Helen
vessey44
naedoot
Krist0n
mike
12 posters

dandy folding camper rivet repairs

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty dandy folding camper rivet repairs

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:09 am

A rivet gun is a vital tool for the long term maintenance of a dandy,the video below is how to use the basic type gun,up to a few years ago i could have put any size rivet that the dandy has with one of these,now age is taking its toll and some of the bigger rivets need a different type of gun to accommodate the weakness in my hands will try to find a video of that type as well.Good little film but on the frying pan where the rivet can be seen i would have used one with a shorter head.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Re: dandy folding camper rivet repairs

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:12 am

Quick video of lazy tong rivet gun,the principle is the same its just the strength needed is not so great.i would suggest you have both types as this one will not work in some tight spaces.

Krist0n
    Krist0n

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Re: dandy folding camper rivet repairs

Post by Krist0n Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:23 am

That's great Mike, Thank you. dandy folding camper rivet repairs  115684958
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:45 am

I was looking at those vids just last week as a thought came into my head

How does a rivet gun work - sounds daft but I had never seen what happens at the oposite end from the gun.

should have bought one years ago when I had my mini (real one not a bmw).

need to get one now as I think Im going to need it soon.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:47 am

naedoot wrote:I was looking at those vids just last week as a thought came into my head

How does a rivet gun work - sounds daft but I had never seen what happens at the oposite end from the gun.

should have bought one years ago when I had my mini (real one not a bmw).

need to get one now as I think Im going to need it soon.

Couldn't have survived my mini days without a rivet gun and mig welder affraid
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:54 am

I got the rolson lazy tong [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:54 am

Both my rivet guns are in the dandy and will need one for new bungee buttons so it was easier to buy one than erect the dandy,found this one locally at £7 and the head swivels to help you in difficult places

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Sat 18 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

I have some lazy tongs which also have the rivnut adaptor

If anyone needs any tools bringing to a meet please let me know & you are more than welcome to borrow them for on-site dandy repairs
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:26 pm

That's a lovely offer Matt .......... I will tell my dad to bring his orange one along with the new ply ready to fit and box section for his legs, I know you can weld too and I'm sure if I bring some under seal you can bring along a paintbrush lol!

Only Joking it's good of you to offer to bring tools along.
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:33 pm

I can weld/fabricate anything you need if you can get it to me...
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  184121345 another example of how nice Dandy people can be dandy folding camper rivet repairs  184121345
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:26 pm

wow if I work out my list I could do a tour of my girl and end up fixed lol!
    fred7

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Rivet size for Dandy discovery?

Post by fred7 Wed 02 May 2012, 9:53 pm

We need to repair a rivet on our 1995 Discovery. Does anyone know the diameter and length of the rivets that hold down the sliding catches for the side walls please?

Thanks

Fred
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Wed 02 May 2012, 10:12 pm

fred7 wrote:We need to repair a rivet on our 1995 Discovery. Does anyone know the diameter and length of the rivets that hold down the sliding catches for the side walls please?

Thanks

Fred
    We have just replaced these, 3mm diameter, 12mm grip range. hope this helps
    essie xxx
    fred7

Post by fred7 Sat 05 May 2012, 6:19 pm

Thats brilliant- Many Thanks!
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:44 am

I too have some riveting to do, thanks for your guide on tools mike but we could do with a list of various rivets.

I am going to need to replace rivets on the buttons, folding roof bars and roof bar slots.

What kind of rivets should I be getting?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

You can buy various sizes in small packets but you can also get kits of mixed rivets so you have lots of different sizes. I'm not sure of the sizes we used, it was a case of what fits from the box.
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:52 am

Helen wrote:You can buy various sizes in small packets but you can also get kits of mixed rivets so you have lots of different sizes. I'm not sure of the sizes we used, it was a case of what fits from the box.

Are standard rivets ok or should I be looking for some with more strength?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:01 am

We used standard Shaun but some people prefer stainless steel rivets.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 11:15 am

I prefer to use standard aluminium, Shaun, as I prefer the rivet to be weaker than the material it's fastening if possible so that it fails first and is easily replaced. Smile
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

jake001 wrote:I prefer to use standard aluminium, Shaun, as I prefer the rivet to be weaker than the material it's fastening if possible so that it fails first and is easily replaced. Smile

Thanks, I never though of that
    Biker
    Biker

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Lazy Tongs Rivet Gun

Post by Biker Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

You can use lazy tongs riveters if your hand strength weakens, on a bed repair I recently carried out I found that I could just manage the 4.8mm rivets, and will buy a lazy tong riveter as it makes it so much easier, you can get them from ebay very cheaply. Very Happy

Biker
    Biker

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Rrivet packs for Dandy Campers

Post by Biker Tue 17 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

I use these rivet packs.

On dandy's you will use the 3.2 and 4.8 rivets these are aluminum rivets I only use Stainless for the ends of roof bars as they take quite a bit of strain both when erecting and in windy conditions. The 4.0 ones come in handy it the 3.2 holes have opened up too much.

I now have my lazy tong rivet gun and it works great, no strain at all.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  2667980805

We do have a couple of rivet guns but were struggling as Johns had both wrists operated on so we tried one of the scissor types and they are so much easier and make riveting a doddle Very Happy
    daddy_boglin

dandy folding camper rivet repairs  Empty Removal of rivets

Post by daddy_boglin Sun 03 Jul 2016, 1:56 pm

I want to reupholster our Dandy, so will need to remove the rivets on the blocks holding material at the front of each seat. Has anyone tried this? what did they use?

Best Wishes
    Chris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 8:00 pm