Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Helen
mike
Caz1960
7 posters

Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel - Page 2 Empty Re: Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel

Post by mike Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Cazz

Might be a rude question to ask a lady but how is your box mounted?
    I might be more inclined to lift off the box and attach bracketing to the A frame and replace the box.
    The A frame is of far thicker section metal than the main body of the frame. Also your not drilling holes into relatively thin box section steel which is an invitation to internal rust.
    With the proviso of clearing the brake gubbins I'm drawn to bracketing the A frame.
    Not forgetting the A frame is formed from [ section steel so the bar does not have to span top to bottom to form a clamp. short flats can be bolted to the main piece of bar to form clamps on the flats of the A frame.
    I realise a diagram would be really useful at this point.

Kevin if you used the rear of the chassis its HD section like you i dont think the body skin would be up to it
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel - Page 2 Empty Re: Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel

Post by Caz1960 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:50 pm

ohh young man ha ha ha my box is bolted ( I think) and yes a diagram would be very helpful as monkey see monkey do lol! lol!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

Kevin if you used the rear of the chassis its HD section like you i dont think the body skin would be up to it

??????????

As we don't have illustrations we may know what we mean but might be confusing each other.
    HD section? I thought you were referring to brackets hung from the box section frame that forms the tub?
    Puzzled as to a mention of body skin?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

If I am remembering it right John's has his wheel mounted on the side of his Dandy, perhaps he used the frame rather than the skin to fix to.
    John
    John

Post by John Mon 13 Feb 2012, 9:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mine is held in tray at the bottom and bolted to the frame through the bolt hole of the wheel
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

that would be an answer to my prayers but I don't have wheel arches my wheels are underneath also 12" Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel - Page 2 9639063
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:09 am

Thanks for the picture John, I think this is how we are going to fit the spare to my dads Dandy ....... yours looks very smart. Dandy Trailer Tent spare wheel - Page 2 184121345
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 14 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

I Don't know if this is of any help to people. Phoenix's spare wheel carrier is underneath at the back. It has 2 as I would describe them gutter / coach type bolts (the ones with dome heads on them) that go through the floor and chassis rail. There then is another that just goes through the floor. The dome heads are to limit feeling them through the flooring. To hold the wheel in there is a metal strap that grips onto the tyre. There is no need for spanners or any tools to get the wheel out. She came with this fitted and We assumed it was standard.

Here are a couple of photos which hopefully help the explanation.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 15 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

Had another look at this and broke out the phone to take pictures.
    My box does have a bottom but there is space behind to attach the bracket discussed.

Now a 10" wheel has a diameter of just under 19" so I reckon the tyre would clear the brake energy store. I don't know about a 13" wheel. The wheel doesn't just hang the tyre is pulled firmly up to the lowest projecting surface within its radius.

Any clamped bracket across the "A" frame would have to be mounted at the top of the frame as a bracket at the same level as the bottom of the frame would interfere with the brake gubbins. This also disqualifies any bracket across the rear two bolts of the ALKO fitment.
    The front two bolts of the ALKO fitment have a short bracket between them underneath the A frame. I can't see it been feasible extending this bracket to form a mounting point for the wheel as it would have to be overly long to get to a point where the wheel wasn't fouling something.
    I'd forgot that where the "A" frame joins the Dandy more [ shaped bracket is bolted to the outside of the "A" frame. I'm not certain where in the timeline this started or if it's not used on the smallest Dandys. Note the picture of the underneath of Phoenix's Dandy

I'd not see a problem in drilling into the base of this or into the "A" frame at this point to attach a suitable bracket to hang the spare. If I did mount a bracket for the spare I'd be concious that it's not a stainless thread so I would grease the thread and use a nylock nut and get the threaded bar drilled so a "R" clip could be inserted to stop the nut unscrewing.
    Given that the most convenient place for a jack is under the cover a lot might be said for leaving the spare there as well,providing its within a cover to stop the roof getting marked. Also the more often you come into contact with the spare the more likely it is to have air in it when needed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 11:07 pm