Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

2 posters

Lockheed drums and rod brakes service

hannah3dog

Lockheed drums and rod brakes service Empty Lockheed drums and rod brakes service

Post by hannah3dog Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

I've got an old Dandy 4/5 and have completely stripped the drums, bearings, backplates etc and rod brakes. The drums are lockheed 7" non auto reverse (the suspension units are welded on). I've ordered new rubber boots and bearings but am unsure as to how to set the rod lengths. Does anyone know of a set procedure for doing this? Thank You

Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Lockheed drums and rod brakes service Empty Re: Lockheed drums and rod brakes service

Post by Phoenix Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:07 pm

Have you removed the locking nuts from the rods? If not just put the rod ends back on up to the nuts and tighten the locking nuts to them.

As for setting the brakes up have a look here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mr Itch put this link on the above thread which may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    hannah3dog

Lockheed drums and rod brakes service Empty Re: Lockheed drums and rod brakes service

Post by hannah3dog Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

Hi so basically you're saying leave the rods the same length. I have degreased them but still have the original settings so that should be ok. I don't undertand how the "readjustment starwheel and screw" operate. I presume you do final adjustments from outside the drum using the starwheel but what about the screw - how should that be adjusted - it can only be done before the drum goes back on ?
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:55 pm

The final adjustments are made using the star wheel, from memory through a access hole in the drum.

Not sure what screw you are referring to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 7:40 pm