Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park Empty Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park

Post by Tow Itch Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Dear All

Glad the regions on this cover the North West/East together, as otherwise I wouldn't know how to post this.
    Dent is just within the boarders of Cumbria, but is also within the North Yorks National Park. ( Most of which is outside Yorkshire)
    I first went to Dent over 15 years ago. It was the regular site for the winter camp for my section of the MZ Riders Club.
    The lunacy of camping in northern hill country in January was only compounded by the stupidity of going on motorcycles. We were often accompanied by The Panther Owners Club and or The Cossack Owners Club, but as both of these often had sidecars (Third wheel handy to avoid falling off on ice) we got higher marks for stupidity.
    Though bleak in January the beauty of the place is stunning.
    It may have five entry routes however all break down into single track roads and I would suggest only two routes are usable by larger or articulated vehicles. This means that it tends to be bypassed by the great North Yorks/Lakes drive through hoards.
    Most of the drives into Dent are either spectacular or enchanting: The route from near Ingleton starts off low but runs almost at the top of a stunning valley,Full appreciation is given to the valley as you stop to open the five sets of cattle gates. I can't definitely say that the route by the Railway station is unsuitable as I use it least frequently, but I remember it being very steep. The route from Kirby Lonsdale first appears as a hole in a hedge but does open out after woods into a fern coated (Not over grazed by sheep) moor with a view of Barbon Hall (Of Barbon Hillclimb fame) it's the point further on where the prettiest part is of the beck flattening out.
    Dent has been discovered though and if you camp on a bank holiday or during the Dent Music and Beer Festival [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then you will have crowds a plenty.
    Indeed most of the crowds will be camped at High Laning Caravan And Camping Park. I can't object to anyone making a successful business but the size the crowding and the prices of this camp are jut too much for me to cope with.
    So now having driven driven into the village along the unusually stoned road (Much smaller stones than cobbles) we turn right past the George and Dragon, the reading rooms, phone box (needed if not on Orange or 3) and see Conder Farm.

"What the £%$"&&*! it's on the side of a mountain. No it's not that steep although the pictures on the festival website are deceptive as they are taken from the farmhouse. (at the top of the rise)
    Where you park is up to you please forget any boyscout stuff about not camping at the base of a hill. I've never seen any pooling let alone flooding at the base of the site.(The bottom did get some pooling in 2012 but this was a truly miserable summer) It's the prime flat camping area if you arrive first. Along the far wall at the bottom is also flat ish but can see a few midges if your sensitive (nowhere near Scottish levels)
    If you want a hook up Mick has at least Two hook up leads, but will free up more if the some of the eight or ten statics that he has are not being used. For this you need to park on the other side of the track in the field. I would suggest that you bring whatever levelling kit you have. Though the most natural way for the Darts to Designers to park up would just see the hitch end close to the ground.
    As you pitch yourself if your out on Saturday I might suggest deploying wind breaks or whatever detritus you have to deter others from pitching to closely.
    Toilets and washing facilities. Some have stated that the facilities are inadequate or unclean. I would strongly contest this. There is a female toilet (untested by me) a Unisex toilet with enclosed basin. Also a male toilet with two cubicles and a good length of trough. For the more al-fresco gentleman there is also a length of 1/2 pipe near here outside.
    I have not tested the ladies showers but the gents are in a barn or shed and comprise of two showers enclosed by 3/4 length wooden doors. The shower basins are clean, the electric showers as warm as required and are free. They are however sited in a 100 or even 200 year old unmodernised barn. Do not confuse patina for cleanliness. The most people I have ever seen on this site would be less than 70. Far less satisfactory would be a site with 3 times the facilities, modernised but swamped by 15 times the numbers of visitors. Where you can't get a shower and need to queue for the loo.
    Do feel free to leave your frying pan home on a trip here as it's not worth cooking breakfast.
    Breakfast is available in the farmhouse at £4 for a full English with unlimited tea. Lessor things like bacon butties work out at something like £2 but all unbelievably cheap. The only fault I can find with the breakfast is that your not much inclined to move before lunch.
    Charges £4 per person per night.(Outrageous inflation to £5.00PPPN Laughing) If you have tribe of children Mick may even be variable on that. Dogs welcome and free. No additional charges for awnings, windbreaks, additional cars, outrageous hairstyles etc. Checked on the fees this morning, they haven't gone up in at least 6 years.(Went up in 2012) Forgot to ask for the cost of the hookup but it will be bugger all.
    As one or two rallies use this place I would suggest phoning up in advance if that would bother you but if your not too bothered by a little noise any group I have encountered on here have been very welcoming, friendly and helpful. People realise that not too many places allow groups and so may be loud but are very inclusive.
    When you do phone up one odd thing is that there is no booking in advance.
    I realise this is not necessarily the site for a group meet, nor if your poor on your feet, but it is an excellent site not just
    because it's cheap, but because of it's relaxed attitudes. It's like going back to a former time.  
    For further reviews of this or sites close to it UK Campsites [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are quite good. However I think it's not beyond possibility that a few larger more organised sites have had associates enter less scathing reviews than the sites used to get.
    Conder Farm. Deepdale Road, Dent, Sedbergh Cumbria LA10 5QJ. Mick & Wendy  015396 25277

As you may have guessed I would not claim this to be an objective review. I have loved camping here and am fond of both Mick & Wendy

Kevin.

The two best ways in are via sedbergh or turning left just after passing Ribble Head Viaduct.

Dent has two pubs, both serving food a café and a village store.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:31 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited price and other details)
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park Empty Re: Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park

Post by Eilis Wed 13 Jul 2011, 3:02 pm

I really like the sound of this site, thanks Kevin, don't suppose you've got any pics at all? always helps if I can see it too Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park Empty Re: Conder Farm Campsite Dent Cumbria North Yorks National Park

Post by Tow Itch Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

Eilis

Not a great one for the camera.
    Still trying to get friends to email me photos from Goodwood Festival Of Speed so I can do a feature.
    The site is featured in the link to the festival. The same photos appear here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    As I say deceptive as they're taken from the farmhouse at the top of the rise.
    Also try Google images for Dent Cumbria or Dent Yorks. People obviously confused where it is.
    All the pictures shown in Google images are from the other campsite. Believe me I spent an age looking.
    If you use Google maps and the satellite picture. Find Dent (R.H.S. of Sedbergh) The "other" campsite is the big sprawl at 10 to 11 o'clock. Conder Farm is at 4 o'clock presuming standard North = top of page setting.

Kevin.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm

Great review Kevin thankyou sounds lovely, we have been to Dent but only for a day trip it is lovely, Conder Farm campsite is now on the map Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 12:10 pm