Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Tow Itch
Keith
6 posters

New wall piston/damper

Keith
    Keith

New wall piston/damper Empty New wall piston/damper

Post by Keith Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Hello after a bit of help please, when we put the dandy away after our recent trip we had great difficulty in folding the rear offside end, anyway I put the 6 up today to get some stuff out and had a closer look, and one of the pistons has siezed resulting in it not closing up fully when folding and pushed through the floor.

The damage to the floor is about 3 x 2 inches and easily repaired by myself, can anyone advise me as to where I can source a new/refurb piston or do I have to buy a full set from Riva?

We had no difficulty putting the unit up so it is still usable with 1 working piston.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

New wall piston/damper Empty Re: New wall piston/damper

Post by Tow Itch Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

Keith

I misunderstood your post at first I would refer to the sliding component at the tow hitch as a damper.
    There are more posts on the gas struts for raising / lowering beds.
    Gas struts are standard components. Read what various posts say re how to size. Also consider the original struts for the bed were thought undersized re the rod diameter, I don't know if this is considered so for the six walls.
    Unless someone offers a complete answer a trawl through the various forums will get you the info.

Kevin.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

A trip to the scrap yard would be the cheapest option, I read that Rover 25 gas struts will do the job and are cheap.
    Nick will be along later as he has knowledge of gas struts.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

Helen

Sorry if my last post was awkward to read. The Rover 25 struts were used for the beds. Are these not a different size?

Kevin
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

Yes I think they were for the beds, do you mean the side walls because if so I know Mike has them on his Dandy and will be able to advise better.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

Sorry should have read the title, it is the wall one.......Doh !

Mike has a dandy 6 with these on the side walls.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

Yes i do have them,not taken a lot of notice though of what they are,you should be able to check the details on the old one and i bet they match something very cheap and standard from a scrap car,it always concerns me when packing away that i may have left something in the way and it would foul the strut,i have heard before that one will do it with care until you get a replacement,sorry i cant be of more help but hopefully you will sort it cheaply and let us know Very Happy
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

i once got a pair from the scrap yard for a dandy 6 sidewall but cant think for the life of me what car i got them from
    if you take one off and go to the scrap yard and open the hatchbacks you can compare
    to get one that fits
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 14 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

We had a bent strut on our bed and it was a bugger to open and close bed sections as the bent rod would catch,i used the details on the sticker to get a quote for a replacement.I did though fix the strut using a lump hammer and bits of wood,it worked perfectly ever since so that saved me £40.The only hard bit was trying to compress the strut enough to fit back on trailer as i didn't have enough space to open the trailer.I would think you might need to change the pair of struts if retro fitting different spec struts as the struts have different loadings and strokes etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 10:45 am