Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
mike
Helen
fearful wizard
7 posters

E H U.What length?

fearful wizard

E H U.What length? Empty E H U.What length?

Post by fearful wizard Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:16 pm

Just wondering what length of EHU to buy, as they start from about 10 mtrs to 25 mtrs
    I dont want to get one to short, then again too long and you end up most of it curled up.
    Also is it a lot cheaper to make your own or is thst false economy. thanks. Pete.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

E H U.What length? Empty Re: E H U.What length?

Post by Helen Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:20 pm

My dad made one for us as he is a sparkie but it isn't very long and we would rather have the ones with the safety cut out, we have a couple of those and both are really long but it doe's mean if we are at a meet we can pitch and know the lead will be long enough and we feel safer knowing that we are using something meant for the job as we do get some condensation in the awning at times and that is where we generally hang it.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:22 pm

fearful wizard wrote:Just wondering what length of EHU to buy, as they start from about 10 mtrs to 25 mtrs
    I dont want to get one to short, then again too long and you end up most of it curled up.
    Also is it a lot cheaper to make your own or is thst false economy. thanks. Pete.

Ime not sure but i think the one in the dandy is 15mt but i have a 5mt ext if needed
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the quick replies will buy ready made and go for about 20 mtres. Pete
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

sounds like the best thing to do, it's better to find out its far too long than find it's too short Very Happy

Last edited by helen on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    recycle600
    recycle600

Post by recycle600 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

I have found in the past that a 25 mtr cable is ok as on some sites they group the sockets in banks and I have been almost at full stretch
    Barrie
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:48 pm

Longer the better then. Thanks
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:25 am

we now have an 18mtr EHU but only after being caught out with our old 10mtr hook up last year.It was a bit frustrating after putting up the dandy only to find the EHU was about 2mtrs too short,something we had not even considered happening.Luckily you can still move a dandy about when its been erected but i thought i was going to bust a blood vessel dragging it through deep shingle to get it closer to the hook up,also the dandy was then not in the position i had originally wanted.I would recommend 20-25mtrs the difference in cost between different lengths is minimal.We now have 2 EHU's so i can do a run of 28mtrs if need be.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

As with so many things whilst length is important so is thickness.
    Try to get 2.5mm2. Welding cables at 4mm2 might be a bit heavy and excessive but some of the cables sold are certainly not up to 13 amp plus. The thickness though important for any cable is even more important for longer runs.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Tow Itch wrote: As with so many things whilst length is important so is thickness.
    Try to get 2.5mm2. Welding cables at 4mm2 might be a bit heavy and excessive but some of the cables sold are certainly not up to 13 amp plus. The thickness though important for any cable is even more important for longer runs.

Thanks will price up cable and possibly make my own.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 12 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

We have one that wraps up in a bag (pain) but we did buy something like what you use for a hosepipe so we don't have to unravel the whole thing and then wrap it all back up again afterwards, you just unwind what you need. Can't remember how much it was but I know it was less than £10 and available in Go Outdoors.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

helen wrote:We have one that wraps up in a bag (pain) but we did buy something like what you use for a hosepipe so we don't have to unravel the whole thing and then wrap it all back up again afterwards, you just unwind what you need. Can't remember how much it was but I know it was less than £10 and available in Go Outdoors.

Just a word of warning guys, when using your leads make sure you uncoil all of it. You should do this with normal household extension leads as well. If you leave some of it coiled up it will heat its self up and melt which could lead to a short or even a fire!!! I have seen a large builders lead that had melted its self.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 12 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

That's the great thing about forums so much knowledge available. Thank you Phoenix from now on we will unroll the whole thing E H U.What length? 2170595768

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 7:37 am