Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
peridot
manchestercamper
6 posters

Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase

manchestercamper

Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase Empty Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase

Post by manchestercamper Tue 07 May 2013, 7:57 am

Hi
    We fairly recently bought a Destiny. We are in the process of fitting a simple toilet to the unit. we have taken out the cupboard and wardrobe and have fitted unit for a Porta potty the cupboard and wardrobe now sit in my home office for storage.

I carry a small trolly jack in my car but the Destiny is too high to use it for changing a tyre what do people carry for this. Having had a blowout last with my dandy 4/5 on a German auto bane It is something i think about.

empty space. When you fold down the Destiny there is a huge amount of space at either end of the unit.
    This has advantages of storage space but it is open only being enclosed by the cover.
    Do people use this space? how do they stop things pushing the cover.
    Is there any way to put something front and back a board for instance to inhibit loss of stuff from within the Dandy.
    It would also firm up the front of the unit the wind does seems to push the cover in when it is being towed. this must effect fuel consumption etc
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase Empty Re: Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase

Post by peridot Tue 07 May 2013, 5:59 pm

The highsided Destiny has similar access front and back although with plenty of space inside, I haven't tried adding anything after the unit is folded.

One concern I do have is that the cover only comes down a short way past the top of the camper side. I imagine that when towing in heavy rain there's the possibility of water being blown up under the cover and into the camper.

So far I haven't towed it in the rain so I don't know if this is a real or imagined problem?

I haven't given any thought to jacking - something else to worry about Smile

I've seen reference somewhere to being able to lift a highsided using the corner steadies - anyone know if that is correct?
    navver

Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase Empty Re: Destiny - Thoughts from recent purchase

Post by navver Tue 07 May 2013, 8:47 pm

peridot wrote:

I haven't given any thought to jacking - something else to worry about Smile

I've seen reference somewhere to being able to lift a highsided using the corner steadies - anyone know if that is correct?

I think this depends on the strength of the chassis. On a caravan the chassis is much deeper close to the wheels and tapers to virtually nothing at the ends near the steadies. These are obviously not suitable for jacking.

If the destiny chassis is equally strong throughout it's length then I would guess it may be possible to jack from the steadies. However, my dark blue designer chassis has far less cross supports than Pheonix. I don't think I would like to jack mine from the ends but Pheonix looks strong enough to take it. I guess Ian would have the real answer.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 07 May 2013, 8:51 pm

Corner steadies are only for steadying, I wouldn't try to use them for levelling for fear of twisting the chassis.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 07 May 2013, 9:53 pm

Can't answer for the Destiny as we have never looked under one. Smile

Phoenix's chassis is strong enough to be lifted on the corner, we know this because Mr P has lifted her up by one of her bed legs while Mrs P swapped the wheels over. Laughing We wouldn't like to try it with our 6 though. lol!

If you are carrying a small trolley jack capable of lifting a car it should be able to lift your Dandy. Put it under the box section of your indespension. If it hasn't got the height you could always carry a bit of 4"x2" to put between the jack and indespension unit.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 08 May 2013, 1:45 am

Drop the front off the hitch. Incline with the hitch as low as you can get it. Stick a box under the respective rear corner. Wind down the jockey wheel.
    The above is the after 6 pints answer. Said desperately tongue in cheek if it all goes FUBAR then we will not be putting this in the forthcoming hints and tips booklet!
    Go on chock the other wheel so it doesn't all pirouette as you are winding the jockey wheel up.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 08 May 2013, 7:24 am

I'll have a closer look at how the corner steadies interface with the chassis when I next get a chance, but I did have reservations about using this technique.

Saying that, the highsided Destiny erection video that's on YouTube suggests that front-to-back levelling is done using the jockey wheel and side-to-side levelling using the corner steadies- effectively jacking it up. That's just one user's opinion though, I haven't seen it in any 'official' literature.

manchestercamper

Post by manchestercamper Wed 08 May 2013, 9:23 am

Hi
    I did manage to lift the trailer up using a couple of bricks very dodgy.
    I am going to Riva today to see about a cover I will ask the oracle.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 08 May 2013, 9:40 am

manchestercamper wrote:Hi
    I did manage to lift the trailer up using a couple of bricks very dodgy.
    I am going to Riva today to see about a cover I will ask the oracle.

Wasn't [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] discontinued years ago?
    navver

Post by navver Wed 08 May 2013, 9:47 am

No he's still there looking fine & dandy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 10:20 pm