Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+13
peridot
Vandriver
Plumcrazee
ChrisP
discobryan
severebrainfailure
sunflowergs
Helen
Phoenix
navver
mike
Endecay
tomt
17 posters

Car M.P.G. towing trailer

Barkclark
    Barkclark

Car M.P.G. towing trailer - Page 2 Empty Re: Car M.P.G. towing trailer

Post by Barkclark Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:02 pm

2008 Ford Fiesta Zetec-S, 1.6L petrol
    Towing: early 90's Designer

So far towing I have averaged 36-37 mpg!
    Normally without towing I average 40-42 mpg, which is driving extremely economically! So my towing mpg isn't too bad!
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:52 am

2012 Honda Civic 2.2 i-dtec 47.6mpg towing Dandy Designer. We were really pleased with that the Jazz only ever managed 35-36.
    sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs Sat 31 Aug 2013, 10:21 am

Looking.at.the.posts.re.mpg.it.would.seem.that.a.vehicle.with.an.engine.of.around.1.9+turbo.
    if.diesel.gives.an.acceptable.towing.figure...Whilst.smaller.engined.or.under.powered.cars.
    have.to.work.harder.to.tow.your.trailer.and.struggle.to.get.much.above.35mpg.
    On.our.recent.trip.to.cornwall.our.Pickup.managed.31mpg.towing.which.is.pretty.much.
    what.i.get.without.the.trailer.
    Vandriver
    Vandriver

Post by Vandriver Sat 31 Aug 2013, 1:00 pm

..... I wouldn't consider 55mpg from a 1.4 diesel "struggling"' especially considering it was towing and loaded to the gunnels.
    Retro
    Retro

Post by Retro Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:39 am

Towing a 70's or 80's (not sure how old) Dandy 4 loaded up with extras like a fridge and a carpet for the awning, we get around 18mpg with a 50's Land Rover. Towing with a Chrysler 300C, we get mid thirties... exactly the same as we get when not towing the Dandy. Very Happy 

The Land Rover likes to cruise at 48 mph so keeping to the towing speed limit is not hard. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the Chrysler. I use the cruise control whenever I can. With both cars, it's easy to forget that the Dandy is there.

We also have a 1.7 diesel Kia Sportage but haven't towed the Dandy with that yet as we tend to use the Chrysler for long distance trips. We have used for it towing a one ton trailer (fully loaded) several times and it does knock a few miles off the 47-50mpg norm, particularly if the route is hilly. You need to use the gearbox a bit more when towing a ton too. Handling wise, you wouldn't know the trailer was there.

Last edited by Retro on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:48 am

Your Dandy will be 70's ..... it's orange Car M.P.G. towing trailer - Page 2 3498837457 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 10:03 pm