Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter Empty Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter

Post by Helen Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

When we first used our Dandy without the sun-canopy or awning a few years back we noticed that in heavy rain water seemed to be getting in along the hinges where it folds, after a little investigating we found it was actually getting in at the top of the door and then running around the edge of the metal frame and down to where the folding hinges are, it was also finding it's way down to the floor, you cant see it as it was sort of going around the edge of the door if you know what I mean Suspect

Anyway we bought a Stick on Fiamma door gutter that they use on motor-homes and this eradicated the problem and has stayed firmly stuck in place for years now. They bend so you can shape it and we got a white one to match our dandy, I know of another person this happened to but as it is hardly noticeable it had rotted the floor near the door and they didn't understand why. It only cost us £7 at the time, they are still under £10 and worth having. The gutter simply diverts the water that runs off the roof in heavy rain. Most camping shops sell them and it's a 5 minute job, I wonder if this is why some people have to replace the bottom of the door on older Dandy's, it is possibly a contributing factor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by helen on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter Empty Re: Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter

Post by Helen Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm

Here it is over my door, it doesn't look out of place.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter Empty Re: Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter

Post by mike Fri 14 Oct 2011, 6:23 am

Think it may be a contributing factor but also the door bottom is open to the elements when the dandy is packed away,when i have a new cover made i thought i would have a couple of press studs fitted so i could fit a pvc flap over the door whilst stored.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:28 am

That's a good idea too Mike, I suppose if members are not replacing the cover any time soon they could simply cut a piece off a small rubber groundsheet and improvise if the Dandy is stored outside.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

Giving this thread a bump Very Happy
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:07 pm

Thanks for the bump Helen. Our door already has an aluminium gutter along the top, so too does the window.
    I am going outside to spray water with the 20 month old lad. I've got a stinkin' cold, but the poor lil Dandy is just sat there staring at me and batting her eyelids!

Hi Ho Hi Ho.......

Last edited by Krist0n on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add photo)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Have you found out if it is the door or windows, I never really took notice of how the metal guttering was fitted on the Destiny's but I wonder if there is a chance the water is getting behind it or through rivet holes if that's how it's done.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

Getting behind and into the rivet holes was my suspicion. However, I have been outside spraying water on the Dandy and had no leaks what-so-ever.

I pulled the roof strings tighter before I squirted water onto it, and I left the heating off. So wether the water was getting under the roof, and into a gap on top of the wall. OR when spraying freezing cold water onto a hot n' toasty Dandy, the condensation may have got very very severe in the cavity? I'm going to sort of bury my head in the sand and blame it on one of those until it happens again. IF it happens again.

I also managed to get my taps and my gas working, so all ready now.

I will have to sort the door out though. Even though it has a gutter above, water is still getting behind the door, as it doesn't shut tight at the top.
    I think a catch on either side will do the trick.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

Phew ............. A happy ending Dandy Trailer Tent Over door gutter 184121345
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:43 pm

Let's hope so. Still keeping fingers crossed for next rainfall.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:09 pm

like that idea - seen the 3m length of it and wonder - can it be shaped ?

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:44 am

The one I use can Tom, it's made from plastic and you just peel off the backing then bend to shape and push on ......make sure you get it right first time because it's very good adhesive.

If I ever changed my Dandy I would put this on my new one without hesitation just as a precaution.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

I emailed Fiamma agent - and got a reply quickly see below
    -------------
    I can confirm that the product in question is supplied in a coil. The Drip Stop is rigid but remains flexible enough to shape within reason. You could most certainly cut it and run it vertically or horizontally as required. It won't bend around objects that might be protruding, it's not that flexible.

------------

just thought would be handy going over door and down, also over and round windows

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:18 pm

We got ours from a camp shop, it may be called a drip stop but as you can see in the picture it was flexible enough to bend around the top of our Dandy door, it doe's protrude slightly but causes no problems on our designer. On the instructions it was supposed to be straight with just the ends bent down and away from the door but I wanted it to look like it was supposed to be there and it works fine even bent to the extent ours is.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 15 Aug 2012, 9:00 am

Thought I'd bump this as this season has been a bit wet What a Face

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 6:39 am