Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Cleaning the upholstery

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Cleaning the upholstery  Empty Cleaning the upholstery

Post by Helen Tue 12 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

I'm considering a vax rapide carpet cleaner, as it has a tool for upholstery cleaning we're thinking of bringing in the seating/mattresses from the Dandy and giving it a go over with the vax, as we're also considering selling our van we want to do that too if we do sell it will go clean and if we don't it gets a freshen up. Has anyone used a carpet cleaner to clean upholstery in a Dandy or a caravan and what we're the results, did it dry fast enough or should we leave the cleaned cushions in our house for a while to make sure they're properly dry ?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Cleaning the upholstery  Empty Re: Cleaning the upholstery

Post by Tow Itch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

Helen wrote:I'm considering a vax rapide carpet cleaner, as it has a tool for upholstery cleaning we're thinking of bringing in the seating/mattresses from the Dandy and giving it a go over with the vax, as we're also considering selling our van we want to do that too if we do sell it will go clean and if we don't it gets a freshen up. Has anyone used a carpet cleaner to clean upholstery in a Dandy or a caravan and what we're the results, did it dry fast enough or should we leave the cleaned cushions in our house for a while to make sure they're properly dry ?

I hope you mean it's the caravan you intend selling.

Shock horror I bought a Vax.
    About 5 or 6 six years ago my health was really variable and I rented a carpet cleaner from a local dry cleaners. Well in fact I rented it twice. Every time I rented it I ended up so knackered I couldn't use it. At the time there was a cheap Vax on offer somewhere so I bought one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was that general sort of shape though I cant remember the model no and I'm not venturing to the back of my garage to find out. It wasn't as astringent as the ones you hire. If you have ever used a rented one on a really dingy carpet (The joys of youth and rented accom) and just stood back spellbound you will know what I mean. It's the same system so why? Is there a weaker pump so the water doesn't penetrate as deep? You put hot water in but do the commercial ones have in line heaters so the water is always warmer? Is the vacuum better so it sucks out more of the mucky fluid? Are the chemicals more penetrating with the hired ones? Maybe the domestic set up is meant to be less astringent so if you use it regularly you don't bleach or fade the carpet or fabrics.
    Now once upon a time I owned a rather grander residence that had light fawn carpets in the lounge through to the dinning room. Something like every six months we booked a professional cleaner to come in and go over the carpets. Now from what I remember though still slightly moist the carpets were dryer than with both the Vax and the hired cleaner. I can't differentiate between the dryness of hired and Vax cleaner.

So to not answer your question. Both a hired cleaner and a professionally engaged cleaner clean deeper than a Vax. Even with a professional cleaner there is still residual moisture that needs airing, more so with a Vax. The professional cleaner must have gone over the settee at some point but no memories.
    You will definitely still notice a difference after the Vax but any upholstery will certainly need airing.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 12 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

We are old fashioned always use stardrops for camper upholsterer.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:06 pm

My local sainsburys have a vax on offer at the moment for £199 instead of £249, i dont know if this is a good price or not, but i have been thinking of getting one for a while.
    But to spend that sort of money i want to know if its any good.
    I think B & M had one for £70 a while back, but must have been a different model. Pete Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

That's the one I've decided on Pete, I've looked at reviews and it looks good. My mum has the bissel and it looks quite similar but with a bit more suction and if I can clean my carpets and car/caravan and Dandy upholstery with little effort then it's worth the £199 ....... I'll write and let you know how we get on with it, the caravan upholstery will be first probably this weekend then the carpets and then the Dandy.

We also had the old cylinder type vax and although it did remove the muck you didn't know was there until you emptied the dirty water Shocked I was forever getting wrapped up in the pipe and power lead as was the machine and it proved to be a annoying to empty and refill. The upright ones are far easier to use.

No Kevin the Dandy stays, it's part of the family now Laughing We just don't get enough use out of the Dandy while we have the van, it seems a shame and we found out we prefer the Dandy so if anything goes it will be the van.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

Thanks Helen the carpets in our house need a really good clean, to hire a machine can be quite expensive so i would prefer to buy one. Pete Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

I think the major stores that are Rug Doctor concessions can be the examples of "good value" that we expect at over £30 for the first day. Likewise with major hire centres. It probably depends on knowing a local hire source or having luck on a computer search.

Can't remember if your near Oldham or Rochdale. Go into Bolton often? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and those aren't cheap [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] As it's a third party ad I'd check you are going to get what is in the photo.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:58 pm

I think it's going to be handy to have a carpet cleaner here constantly with the dog and the grandkids ..... more the grandchildren than the dog, he just moults but also has a bad habit of going out without wellies or shoes so gets mucky feet often. We do give his feet a rub over when he comes in from his walks but he just thinks it's playtime and legs it around at full belt while you chase him with a towel lol!

We're off to buy ours tomorrow and will be using it by the weekend if not sooner Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm

Got one and couldn't wait until weekend to try it, you have to do a little bit of putting together but it takes two minutes, the instructions are very clear and no tools required. Very easy to use, the clean and dirty water tanks are simple to change, they just clip on and clip off.

The results are excellent with very little effort, it's as simple as hoovering and we didn't have to refill or empty the tank to do one complete carpet. The carpet looks great and smells fresh but is surprisingly dry to the touch, it's no where near as damp as from the other cleaners we've used. We we're so surprised that we actually had to check the tanks to make sure water had actually been going out and sucking up, hey presto a tank with lots of dirty water. The hardest thing about it is taking the box to the tip and trying to find somewhere to store as it's a bit bulkier than a hoover but not by much ........... my view

Absolutely fantastic cheers cheers cheers

Can't wait to start on the upholstery now, I will leave the cushions out for a few days in an unused room to make sure they're properly dry but have no hesitation about using it on them or any other carpets or soft furnishings, we are going open the Dandy up and do the carpet too as soon as the weather picks up Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

Got one and couldn't wait until weekend to try it,

Quelle surprise!
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:21 pm

Don't sing their praises too high. You will be doing us out of work!!! lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

What a Face promise if I want a new carpet in my Dandy I'll drop it off at your house for a few days Very Happy
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

2 hours would do. lol!
    Speak to Cazz we put vinyl in your old Dandy for her and Wayne. Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Sounds great, I think I prefer the feel of carpet on my tootsies when I get out of bed though. We could camp somewhere near you so a stop on the way for the carpet and then a holiday cheers
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:45 pm

We put carpet on underlay and grips in Phoenix and Dylan. We like our home comforts and so do the dogs. Laughing

When are you planning on coming round? Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:47 pm

I'm not sure yet, the weather would have to buck up a bit it's a long way for us ........ we're also trying to figure out how to get two Dandy's and a Caravan there all in one go lol!

Perhaps the Woodhall week Smile
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Wed 13 Feb 2013, 7:53 pm

Low loader job!! lol!

Or have you seen the Australian lorry trains!!

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 13 Feb 2013, 8:11 pm

I can just imagine our set up, Car then caravan then Designer and the littlest Dandy trailing along last Laughing

Hmm a bit worried about some of the narrow country lanes we use on the way to Woodhall pale

I think for now it'll just be the designer
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:35 am

Damn damn and damn Phoenix thinking about the Road Trains.

I spent ages looking for this. What you need Helen is a bigger waggon and caravan then get yourselves set up as showmen or showperson as it must be now.

Photos are hard enough to find but I want to see a video. They can reverse with the two trailers and apparently more than the legal number of two trailers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 7:06 pm