Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
mike
HIDEHI
Tow Itch
Krist0n
Helen
Eilis
carl
11 posters

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings

carl
    carl

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  Empty zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings

Post by carl Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

are you thinking what i am
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  Empty Re: zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings

Post by Eilis Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:57 am

that looks brilliant Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  Empty Re: zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings

Post by Helen Mon 25 Jul 2011, 9:06 am

carl wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

are you thinking what i am

What are you thinking Carl Question They do look really good but what is this idea you have for them. Would it have anything to do with the roof tie's or even tidying the U bar strings or am I miles out. Laughing
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Mon 25 Jul 2011, 9:16 am

i am thinking of the roof strings this hay help to get them nice and tight
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 25 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

Well I called them roof tie's but the same thing Laughing I am going to order some as John has wrist problems so these may help to get them tight and also going to get some to keep the U bar strings neat and tidy when the dandy is packed away, we just throw them over the bed boards at the moment but these would keep them neat and tidy too. zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  2170595768
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

I thought of something like this the first time we put the Dandy up, but never took it any further than the thought stage.
    Has anyone tried these yet, or anything similar? How do they faten onto the Dandy?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:26 am

We never got any Kriston, it's just like the towbar handle ............. you forget all about it until your on site wishing you had remembered Laughing

Looks like you may need a screw fixing or rivets but they would need to be strong rivets. I think we will stick to tying the roof the old way and using roof bungees.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 25 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm

One of my mates out this weekend tied the roof ends up in the most interesting way. He's a driver who did some old school roping and sheeting in the Army.
    Had to show him how to tie up as if on a boat. Slipping the line under itself results in almost zero backlash. Sorry backlash is the term slippage in machinery I can't think of the term for a rope feeding back.
    The figure of eight cleat fitted to the early Dandys or the buttons fitted later should be just as good or better than these zig zag devices.
    Hope this illustrates.

Can't find an illustration directly relating to a Dandy but I must have seen an illustration, read instructions, or been told this I'm not bright enough to think it up myself.
    Though I have done some work on boats and we did have a "maden" with a figure of eight cleat when I was a child. How do others tie up?

Figure 8 cleat the halyard

Form a loop

Lock off the halyard rope around the cleat

I normally lock off twice.
    These images may need resizing.

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 25 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

That looks simple enough using a figure 8 cleat, but what about the button type? I have just discovered the "taut line hitch knot" on youtube. Apart from my lengths of string being a little short, I have managed to do it, although I feel they could be a little tighter. I suppose longer string would make it easier to tighten, as I've got very little to play with.

Whilst on the subject of the roof strings (if that's what they are called), does anyone elses Dandy have the strings directly in front of the windows? This is a major pain in the bum, as I would need to go outside, undo a rope/string, just to be able to open a window.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Could you not alter the position of them by moving to another hole ?

One from the centre roof hole straight down to the button, one from each end hole going at an angle to a button and leave the holes out that are in between unless it gets really windy.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

The centre hole is the one that goes almost right down the middle off the kitchen window typically. The one to the right of that as you look at it doesn't effect a window.
    The one to the left, yes I could do as you have suggested. Good idea for that one!

I could possibly put the rope from the centre hole on a major diagnal, so it would only effect the top right corner of the windw, but this would still allow me to open it slightly. Or I could put something in between the rope and the Dandy wall above the window, so the rope isn't up tight against the window. I will have to experiment I suppose.

Thanks for the input.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

Could you not go straight down with the end ones and attach to the leg supports or peg to the ground ?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 25 Jan 2012, 9:55 pm

Krist0n wrote:That looks simple enough using a figure 8 cleat, but what about the button type? I have just discovered the "taut line hitch knot" on youtube. Apart from my lengths of string being a little short, I have managed to do it, although I feel they could be a little tighter. I suppose longer string would make it easier to tighten, as I've got very little to play with.

Whilst on the subject of the roof strings (if that's what they are called), does anyone elses Dandy have the strings directly in front of the windows? This is a major pain in the bum, as I would need to go outside, undo a rope/string, just to be able to open a window.

That looks simple enough using a figure 8 cleat, but what about the button type?

The two buttons are in effect a figure of 8 cleat. Pull round the outer one, figure of eight round the inner. Keep up the tension and form the loop slipping it over the outer. Loop again under the inner.

You have me confused. Your talking about totally different strings now? The strings or bungees going from the roof overlap on the front and rear on most Dandys or on the sides as yours is a Destiny.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:26 am

Helen, it's not the end ones that cover the window, it's the next ones in, so I would be able to tie onto the legs. I think the best option would be to put some sort of seperator in between the ropes and the dandy body, leaving a little more room to open the window, yet still having the roof securely tied down. But not above the window, (as mentioned in my previous post), but below the window. I will get some photo's on here now I have finished cleaning it, and will point them out.

Towitch, sorry, I have just realised that you were talking about the "roof end" ropes, not the "roof overlap" ropes, so yes, I was talking about different ones, although I didn't realise until you pointed it out. Embarassed
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 26 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

I get what you mean Kriston Laughing and wonder if you could use something to pull the offending strings to the side a little ........ perhaps strap it to the end one using a cable tie or something similar.
    HIDEHI

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  Empty bungee or rope / string

Post by HIDEHI Sun 19 Aug 2012, 10:37 pm

Has any one changed the roof tie rope/ strings for bungee.
    oris that a mad idea i have lol
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:22 pm

HIDEHI wrote:Has any one changed the roof tie rope/ strings for bungee.

Changed mine but i have a clip at the top and a tied loop for the button so hooks cant fly of and hit me in the eye use these at the top but cheaper ones with bungees attached from the pound shop [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

mike wrote:

Changed mine but i have a clip at the top and a tied loop for the button so hooks cant fly of and hit me in the eye use these at the top but cheaper ones with bungees attached from the pound shop [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Somewhat cheaper at £1.00

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    mike wrote:

Somewhat cheaper at £1.00

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thats what i got and cut one clip off
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

Are we talking about the strings that pull the roof hoops up or even the ropes that go through the edge of the Dandy roof and pull tight ?
    HIDEHI

zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  Empty roof strings

Post by HIDEHI Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:47 pm

That is right Helen, the reason i ask this Q is my roof strings seem verry slack no mater how hard we pull them.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:53 am

The only thing I can suggest is that you try pulling from the top first, there is a little gap in the pvc (where the bed board tops are) on our Dandy so we pull from there first and then down. The other thing is bungees like the ones shown in the posts above, they do help a a lot with holding the roof in windy weather, we use them even if it's not windy as you can guarantee that we'll get tucked up in bed then the wind will start lifting the roof and we'd be grappling around in the dark trying to attach the bungees.
    HIDEHI

Post by HIDEHI Tue 21 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

Thanks zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  115684958 for the info zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  3355420168 , going away in hidehi dandy on thursday to fairborn by barmouth Laughing for 5 nites with 2 of our grandsons, Basketball zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  2618919104 zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  496639318 zig zag cleat for tying of your roof strings  2618919104 we have changed site from llanrwst due to the weather. Idea
    Dandyman bob

Post by Dandyman bob Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:26 pm

High all, on the subject of cleats have you thought of using this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have purchased some but have yet to fit them.
    Regards Bob
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:19 am

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum, I've tried the link and it takes me to a site for sailboats but not to the cleats so I searched for clamcleats on that site and it came up with 49 different ones. Very Happy

This is the list it comes up with ranging in price, could you let us know which ones they are and how you get on with them please.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:13 pm